Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I am considering leaving the hobby

C

Cliygh and Mia

The animals I have absolutely HATE me, ( Expect Mia, who whenever I go near Cliygh and Mia's tank she comes out and looks at me intensely.) My mom absolutely hates animals, and the pets we have are getting on her and my nerves. They need care 24/7 and there is always something wrong. My fire-belly is constantly brown which means he is always stressed, My salamander is blind, My fowler's toad is always to cold, and Cliygh is Obese. If I get rid of them our conflict between me and my mom will finally end. Does anyone know how to get rid of reptiles and amphibians?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, i have to ask...is this some kind of very early april fools' day thing...?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could put them up for re-homing in the trade area? It's only allowed to offer WC animals as free to a good home, though.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Ok, i have to ask...is this some kind of very early april fools' day thing...?

No it's not, my mom has been on and out of the hospital due to stress reactions, so if I get rid of them, it might help her and me

seagull

Reaction score
why do u think the firebelly turning brown means hes stressed? they darken to blend in with a darker surface

Bette

Reaction score
I know there is no guarantee that they will be cared for properly, but you could surrender them to a pet shop or a reptile rescue.

AuSu

Reaction score
Do you hate these animals, too, or just your mum? Does she have to help you with the care or could you do it yourself or maybe ask a friend or family member (not mum)? About h.orientalis (I don't know anything about the others), at least one of our fire-bellies turn its color (from dark brown to greyish) every now and then and I can't see it happening due bottom color. I think it might have something to do with courting. So it's probably not stress.

Do you have some kind of routine in tasks, does it really take 24/7? Could you make something more simple?

Are there any hobbyists in your area that could take some of your pets (or all, if you so decide)?

I'm just thinking that maybe you feel bad for your mum (naturally) but does it really make that big change if you give up this thing, and does it make you too feeling better - or sad afterwards? Of course it's great that you think best for the pets if you can't take proper care.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Do you hate these animals, too, or just your mum? Does she have to help you with the care or could you do it yourself or maybe ask a friend or family member (not mum)? About h.orientalis (I don't know anything about the others), at least one of our fire-bellies turn its color (from dark brown to greyish) every now and then and I can't see it happening due bottom color. I think it might have something to do with courting. So it's probably not stress.

Do you have some kind of routine in tasks, does it really take 24/7? Could you make something more simple?

Are there any hobbyists in your area that could take some of your pets (or all, if you so decide)?

I'm just thinking that maybe you feel bad for your mum (naturally) but does it really make that big change if you give up this thing, and does it make you too feeling better - or sad afterwards? Of course it's great that you think best for the pets if you can't take proper care.

It's a oriental fire bellied toad

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by 'my animals hate me', just cause they don't hop out in front of the tank when your around doesn't mean that they hate you, it means they're not as tame or they don't see you as food/a food source. All of my reptiles/amphibians either think I'm food, a food source, or something thats going to eat them, some of the marms are a little afraid of me while one sits in front of the tank waiting for food, even though there might be food 2 inches behind it.
And its not like they want to be injured or sick, they're not injuring themselves to mess with you, and even with sick animals, they don't require attention 24 hours a day, most healthy animals only need water changes which can be done weekly, to be fed, and spot cleaning done, sick animals taking a little longer, but it doesn't take that much time. If you can't take care of the animals I would post a for sale ad for captive bred animals and a free to a good home ad for any wild caught animals.
And if any of the animals seem stressed, reconsider how you're housing them, and whats in the tank. Also, getting captive bred animals would reduce the chance of getting a sick or injured animal.

C

Cliygh and Mia

As in whenever I walk near their tanks they run the opposite way

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
As in whenever I walk near their tanks they run the opposite way
They're scared of you, they don't hate you, a lot of the stuff I keep still runs away from me, so I just drop in food, shut off the light, go, and come back later to clean up, theres no pet that will always be running up to you, if you wanted something more tame, then amphibians may not be the best choice.
Are you keeping these around the house in random places? If they're in your room there shouldn't be much of an issue, and another option is to keep things in plastic tubs with holes in the lid that can just slide under a bed or can be stacked on top of one another

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of all your animals, is there one that you would want to keep? If so, I would suggest keeping that one and work to provide optimum care. Parents can put their children under immense pressure sometimes, but I would suggest not to give in completely...try to compromise. Your mum sounds to me that she is struggling with some issues, but I suspect she would not want to intentionally deprive you of something that you clearly enjoy ( I had a quick look through some of your previous posts)
If you are feeling overwhelmed and under pressure I would suggest rehoming the others. Advertise them here and let them go to someone who can provide them their new home. In time you may be able to be in a position to rekindle your interest in the hobby.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Fire Belly Toads go from brown to green often. I have 6 in one aquarium, and right now 2 are brown. There are LOTS of reasons for them to change colour, and you cant narrow it down to stress. They do not require 24/hr attention. Take a breather bud, you are overwhelmed I am sure. All you can do is your best while you look for new homes for them. Look for a local online classified and post them there, and get in touch with some local pet shops. Smaller ones rather than large chains if you can, you will have a better chance at a smaller one.

I can understand the frustration of having lots of animals. I have 3 cats, 6 fire belly frogs in one aquarium, 2 in another, 4 fire belly newts, a blue crayfish, about 25 various fish, 2 dwarf aquatic frogs, and a wife and kids. The animals are all cleaned and fed by myself. What I try to do, is water changes every weekend, for this I have 2 5 gallon buckets where I keep my water with solutions overnight before the water changes. Bi weekly, I pull the substrate and fake plants out, and give them a quick rinse in treated water, and monthly, I pull the water filters and give them afresh filter. In total I have 5 aquariums all with water and filters in them. Other than that, I think I spend 10 minutes each day feeding my creatures.

Like I said, do your best to care for them until you can re home them. You can not blame your animals for your families stress. Your mom will be ok, and getting rid of your pets will not make it better. If your mom is that sick then there is more going on in her life. Wrap your arms around her, give her a big squeeze, tell her you love her, and that you will get through this together.

Good luck with everything, and I hope your family gets the peace it needs! If I lived nearby I would love to take some pets off of your hands and give them a good home. I am up in the great white north!

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Out of all your animals, is there one that you would want to keep? If so, I would suggest keeping that one and work to provide optimum care. Parents can put their children under immense pressure sometimes, but I would suggest not to give in completely...try to compromise. Your mum sounds to me that she is struggling with some issues, but I suspect she would not want to intentionally deprive you of something that you clearly enjoy ( I had a quick look through some of your previous posts)
If you are feeling overwhelmed and under pressure I would suggest rehoming the others. Advertise them here and let them go to someone who can provide them their new home. In time you may be able to be in a position to rekindle your interest in the hobby.

I gave my 2 cents before I read this. Great minds think alike!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1