Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I am very new and now I have a problem and I am worried........

T

tjsmom

Hello, I am looking for any advice I can get. My short story first. My son and I collected some tadpoles and eggs to raise and release. The tapoles did fine and we release 29 back into the wild. The egg sack we got was damaged and I didn't think anything would survive. Well 2 months later we have 5 little salamanders. They are wonderful. About 3 inches in lenght and very nice. They greet me at the tank and eat well. I feed frozen brine shimp, flightless fruit flies(I hold these under water with tweezers) and frozen blood worms. I have a 10 gallon with big rocks for them to get under and an underwater filter. The other day I was netting up so debris and one little guy went into the net. I gently removed him and finished. The next day one of my guys is missing part of his gill things. Now he won't eat and all his gill things are gone. I notiticed today the fin like tail looks different. The larger of the group is getting dark and his white spots are getting kinda yellow. The one missing his gills is getting very dark. There is not much info on identifing young salamanders. I live in Pennsylvania. I really like these guys and would love to keep them healthy. I just am not sure what to do now. My pet store in the area is of not much help. I do have plants in the tank. the one that is changing has not tried to get out of the water yet. I have rocks he can get up on to. The tank is generally dark. I have a small portion with light over it. I will take any suggestions. I really did want to keep them. They were doing so well till this started. He looks very health otherwise. Thanks to anyone who has advise.

M

marco

Your guys are going to metamorphose. It's all normal, don't worry.
Let your guy without gills could climb on rocks. Lower the water level or tansfer him in another thank with 2 inches of water and a rock. Put an ermetic cover on the tank.
Excuse me for my bad english.

Best wishes

T

tjsmom

Thanks,
Marco you were the only one that answered. Once I knew what to look for, I was able to get a ton of info. I think I have the spotted Salamander. They are really cool. The not eating things scares me alittle. Anyway, if anyone has any sites for pictures of tanks. I need some new ideas now.
Thanks again.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is normal for them to not eat during metamorphosis. Once they have finished changing, they should start to eat again in a week or two. At that point, they will need land-based food (small crickets, earthworms, etc.). They will continue to eat the fruitflies, but those are not the best staple diet.

For setup pictures, see
http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/
(go to Articles, then "Setting it Up")
http://members.cox.net/jpmacke/tankpics.htm
(the last tank is an all-terrestrial tank, which is what you will need when they finish changing.)

T

tjsmom

Jennewt,
Thanks the pictures helped. I did order flightles fruit flies from the internet and the little ones in the water love them. Maybe the land guys are to nervous from the switch. They seem so small to eat the worms. They are still about 3 inches. I will certainly keep trying. My son and I just love to sit and watch for them. Oh, When I go to feed should I hunt them up by moving my rocks and stuff? They have always eaten off the tweezers. Even the frozen blood worms.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully they will continue to eat from the tweezers, I find that is the cleanest easiest method. I highly recommend earthworms (they should be able to handle a worm almost as long as they are). The nightcrawlers you buy at bait shops are good too, but chopped. If you use fruit flies or crickets, supplement with calcium/vitamin powder. No, I wouldn't hunt them up to get them to eat. They will probably come for the tweezers when they are good and hungry. If not, feed with the smallest crickets you can get and let them hunt their food.

T

tjsmom

I tried to feed tonight and he/she looked and even tried to take a bite but MISSED.A friend gave me a couple of little mealworms. Kinda soft. I will try worms tomorrow. Won't the crickets bite my guys. I am worried about them dying I had a little toady die yesterday and I was kinda upset. I am a animal person we have many different animals. Your are really being very nice and I appreciate all yur help. Thanks a bunch.

S

sarah

Another note, I don't have the exact link but do a search for "AmphibiaWeb", it's a site by Berkeley and they have a much wider range of photos than anything I've found elsewhere, and of varieties I've never heard mention of. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1