I have froglets! Whoo hoo!

Kurt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went to Black Jungle yesterday with Andrea (arienette) for their BBQ and by the time I got back I was exhausted. It was a very cool place. Darts and other amphibians all over the place, some even calling.
Anyway, like I said I was exhausted when I got home, so I went to bed early and I mean early. Just before hitting the sack I passed by the rain chamber, which has been the home of my red-eyed leaf frog tadpoles since they came into this world. What I saw looked like one of the tadpoles had somehow got stuck to the side of the tank well above the water line. Upon closer examination, I discovered it had all four limbs and was sleeping in the same fashion that their parents sleep in.
I got up at 6:00 AM EST, grabbed my flash light and checked in on them. Last night's froglet was climbing around the tank just like its parents do. I also noticed a second one climbing out of the water. I have froglets!!! Whoo hoo!!!
Now the fun part, feeding them. I was at Black Jungle yesterday, just wished I had bought some melanogaster or springtail's. The fruit flies I am currently producing are too big. So now I have to go to Petco and try to find some Drosophila melanogaster and hope they are not too big for my froglets.

Awesome! Good job! I envy you...
Is it Drosophila hydei you are breeding? Are you sure they are too big? The A.callidryas metamorphs I have seen I definitely think could take them...

Cheers, Vide

Thanks everybody. Yes, it is Drosophila hydei that I am culturing. They seem just a little bit too big for my froglets.

Congratulations Kurt!
I love this time of year, everyone has so many new mouths to feed.

Not to steal your thread, but I was checking out Black Jungle's website the other day, was considering ordering some gear from them. Are they as reputable as they appear to be?

Not to steal your thread, but I was checking out Black Jungle's website the other day, was considering ordering some gear from them. Are they as reputable as they appear to be?

Yes, and then some. I have been dealing with them for many years, mostly at the Manchester NH shows.Yesterday was the first time that I have ever been to their faculity. It was awesome! They have a green house, a tadpole room, a fruit fly room (that has hundreds of cultures in it), and in the main room loads of heavily planted terrariums with their breeder darts in them. They have plenty of darts for sale, but they also have some cb newts too, Cynops cyanurus and Tylototriton verrucosus. They also had some glass frogs, Hyalinobatrachium valerioi on loan from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. They are trying to breed them for ABG. The offspring are to be sent right back to Atlanta and will not be for sale. Bummer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back