Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
13358.jpg

Here's a pic showing the whole sac:

13364.jpg

13368.jpg

Actually, I should point out that the first 2 pics in this series are from today while the 2 that follow, including this one here, are from yesterday.

What camera have you acquired to do this last shot Tim, it's so macro and so sharp that I'm quite surprised by it.

Hi Henk, that's the same camera I've had since November, the Canon Rebel, with a macro lens I've had since Christmas. I finally seem to be getting the hang of it
biggrin.gif

Here's an adult H.dunni for those who may not be familiar with this species:

13375.jpg

Here are the same two embryos as in the last egg pic, namely the 2nd pics above this post:

13383.jpg

The sac has dozens of these tiny worms on its surface, be they don't seem to be inside:

13386.jpg

These pics are all of the same egg sac as I only have one here to observe. I haven't counted the number of embryos in this sac yet, but as you can see there are many. A couple of eggs are duds. I read that the number of eggs ranges from 90 to 160 for this species, but I'm not sure yet if this is per sac or total (as each female produces 2 egg sacs).

on the subject of duds-you didnt answer my other question about weather or nor they will fungus like other clutch laid duds and infect the others in its proximity, or is its placement in this enclosed sac somehow creates a barrier to stop the infection by 'fungus'?(i.e. do they just sit there and rot peacefully?) also with all these larvae -what are you going to do with them(since you wont export) i am under the impression that this hobby is even less popular in japan than in the us, except for the occasional kid interested in ONE for a pet.(do they do what we used to do with frogs when we were kids-i.e. raise them to metamorphosis then release them?-i am guessing some of these arent local species)

p.s. what do those eggs sacs cost in us$?

Paris, I did see your question about duds but was hoping somebody else could answer it because I can't. All I can say is that I've never had a egg sac in good condition, but with a few dud eggs, go bad. However, I've had an egg sac in bad condition with dud eggs go bad despite my best efforts.

Since I'd prefer this thread be about H.dunni egg development and not get sidetracked, I'll reply to your other questions in the general discussion forum or in a separate thread in this forum
wink.gif
Suffice it to say for now that I network with other enthusiasts here, which is to everybody's benefit and minimizes reliance on the pet trade.

(Message edited by tj on March 18, 2004)

The pleasure's all mine Juraj

Today:

13416.jpg

As for the neighboring pair of embryos shown in 2 of the pics introduced earlier, today the gilled one on the left is flipping around in its egg, while the less-developed one on the right is changing shape and also moving a bit.

13419.jpg

Here are those same two embryos today:

13440.jpg

13441.jpg

Amazing Photo series Tim, I felt like I was there in person watching them develop!.

Tim's setting new standards in photography. *Takes hat off to Tim*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back