<i>Hynobius kimurae</i> in the wild

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I went to the mountains of western Tokyo with some fellow enthusiasts to observe Hynobius kimurae (the Hida Salamander). These salamanders begin taking to the streams around this time of the year. But it was still too early to find egg sacs, which are laid from around mid-February. Despite our efforts we were only able to find one, but a beautiful, egg-laden female she was
biggrin.gif

76273.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on January 14, 2007)

Finally again a Hynobius-in-the-wild-post Tim... beautiful species!

(Message edited by wouter on January 14, 2007)

Yep, it's arguably the most beautiful hynobiid species

76374.jpg

It's the most widely distributed lotic (stream) breeding Hynobius species in Japan, but it's found only on Honshu Island. Here's a map showing its distribution:

76375.jpg

<font size="-2">(the big island above Honshu is not actually located off to the left of it as shown there but above the northern tip of Honshu)
</font>
There's marked genetic differentiation within Honshu. Indeed, those in the easternmost part of its range (the Kanto District that includes Tokyo) look quite different in terms of color and marking pattern from those elsewhere, namely the Chubu, Kinki and Chugoku districts to the west. Compare the one above with the ones the Henk keeps and has posted photographs of, and you'll see the difference between this one and his immediately.

It's found at altitudes ranging from 320-1,100 meters. Not as high as Onychodactylus japonicus (Japanese Clawed Salamander, but larvae of these two species sometimes share the same areas downstream. Since H. kimurae is up there in the mountains, it's less threatened than many other species and enjoys an IUCN Red List Status of a species of "Least Concern"
biggrin.gif
Still, it really depends on the place, as in some prefectures it is locally listed as "Near Threatened"

For more info on genetic variation, see:

Allozyme variation of Hynobius kimurae Dunn (Amphibia, Caudata) (1999)
<font size="-2">By M. Matsui, Y. Misawa, K. Nishikawa, S. Tanabe</font>

(Message edited by TJ on February 23, 2007)

Wel Tim , I have 3 H. kimurae at home and they do have different degrees of colorations. Will see if I can make some shots of them as soon as it gets a bit more comfortable overhere (time and temperature). Have just bought a new tank in order to make some better shots. I tested it out with some lissotritonn en pleurodeles nebulosus shots and it seems to work. So more to follow soon (if I can get the time factor in my favor)

Indeed one of the most beautiful species
happy.gif
I will post a pictures as well of my h.kimurae. On the other hand, Tim could you email me since I have lost your email and I need your address. I will ship you the promised asa zoo dvd with our japanese trips
happy.gif
I know its a long wait but I had almost no time
sad.gif

Best regards
Yago

Henk, I had in mind the photos of your H. kimurae you posted before, if not here then at AmphiabWeb:

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=aw_search_index&where-taxon=Hynobius+kimurae&rel-taxon=begins+with&where-lifeform=specimen_tag&rel-lifeform=ne

Hi Yago. Those are some really beautiful western-variety H. kimurae you have. It would be great if you could post some photos of them (though I may have posted some before of the very same individuals before you ever laid eyes on them). I'll e-mail you soon
biggrin.gif

That's one really pretty Hynobius, Tim. Worth the trip, I would say
smile7.gif

Well Tim , I acquired one more since and this one looks more black with some interesting orange dots .. be it far less spots then the one you show , but still close to it anyway...
Nevertheless they are great animals, but I am also very keen on those more yellow/orange H. tsuensis too, which I hope to breed one day too (in fact this is my future challenge...)

Thanks for posting those photos and info. It is nice to see the shots of the animals and their habitat.

Hi Mike. Glad to hear that. Another such trip is planned for the middle of February.

The habitat is shared by Rana tagoi

77117.jpg

77118.jpg

(this one having a leg injury)

(Message edited by TJ on February 23, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back