Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Hynobius lichenatus</i> (Tohoku Salamander)

TJ

Reaction score
2542.jpg

2543.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
3322.jpg

3323.jpg

I've read that the sure give-away with lichenatus egg sacs, the thing that distinguishes them from those of other Hybiinods, is the fact that they are wrinkled like this. I acquired these as a single sac, but they appear to be 2 sacs atttached to the same leaf
happy.gif

TJ

Reaction score
3548.jpg

3549.jpg

Their black-tipped tails make them pretty easy to distinguish from my other Hynobiid larvae.

TJ

Reaction score
It's especially interesting to see how their tails have rounded out in recent days. The color is coming through nicely as well!

Two larvae are only 1/4 the size of the other 20 or so, leading me to wonder if lichenatus are less cannibalistic
smile9.gif
than other Hynobiids like tokyoensis. I've just separated them though, to be on the safe side

(Message edited by TJ on May 24, 2003)

R

ralf

Great pics of Hynobiids, you've been posting Tim. It's a pity that only few people keep these fascinating animals. Not much c/b offspring around, either (at least here in Europe). Well, I guess the same holds true for some other groups of "caudates" like plethodontids.
Keep on posting.

Ralf

H

henk

Well Ralf I take to Gersfeld every year offspring of H. dunni, H. retardatus, H. leechii quelpartensis and probably for the first time this year H. tokyoensis... but the people interested in Hynobiids are indeed not too high. I find it fascinating animals anyway and wouild love to have more people keeping and breeding them since they are bnot difficult at all (compared to other species) and offspring can be numerous.

TJ

Reaction score
Well Ralf, I hope this means you'll be making a trip to Gersfeld this coming October for the GHT-AG Urodela Workgroup Annual Meeting! True, a single egg sac can supply enough larvae for dozens of enthusiasts (well, that is if they're content with 1-2 larvae each!
smile6.gif
). Henk, I haven't seen either H.leechii (Korean salamander?) or H.leechii quelpartensis (Northeastern China Hynobiid Salamander) turn up on the Japanese market before, but I do know somebody who I seem to recall has bred them or tried to breed them here.

R

ralf

Yes Tim, I will desperately try to get to Gersfeld this year. I will also desperately try to convince my family to accept still another setup.
Henk, I rely on your advice on what would be a good Hynobius beginners species. I keep some Pachyhynobius, but these seem to be totally aquatic.

Ralf

C

chris

What dates is Gersfeld on?
Also, how do you keep Hynobiids, starting from basics - I have no clue!!
crazy.gif

Thanks,
Chris

H

henk

Hai Ralf,

I think the hardy H. dunni would make a good start. H.retardatus is a bit more difficult since they do not thrive too well in semi-aquatic setup. I often refer to H. retardatus as being the Japanese Plethodont which needs to have a kind of land setup during the summer.

You will find all the info on H. dunni in the fist amphibia magazine of dght Urodela (in English) an d I hope to get the article up on my moscow webpage too...in the future

R

ralf

Alright Henk, I caught up on some reading on H. dunni in the amphibia magazine and the internet last night. Please put me on the list as potential recipient of some dunni juveniles in October.

Ralf

C

chris

Ralf/ Henk where did you get that amphibia magazine?
Also, put me on a 'possible, but likely' list for some dunni.
Chris

R

ralf

Hi Chris. "Amphibia" is the magazine of the Anuran and Caudate workgroups within the DGHT (German Society for Herpetology and Husbandry of Terrarium Animals). Members receive it automatically. Most of it is in German, the article on Hynobius dunni is in English though.

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1