<i>Hynobius nebulosus</i>

H

henk

Here you see how the animals use those holes to hide in ...
23403.jpg

That's nice Henk. I'll be on the lookout for something like that for my own. I have some very tangly moss that I got from the mountains, in which the H.nebulosus like to hide. Here are some of mine from last year's raisings (and I don't mean they were bred by me -- I simply raised them from the egg sac stage).

23687.jpg

I'm so happy to see that they've retained their luscious yellow tails into sub-adulthood
biggrin.gif

Yep, they are georgeous Tim. I also keep mine in wed moss and this works well , the moss decomposits at a low rate and is acid. And for all with our climate there's plenty of it between my lawn.
I have 2 uncomplete H. nebulsosu groups with locality data and 1 complete breeding group without locality data. The differences are quite surprising... Will see if I can make some shots.
I actually have some animals that have those yellow tails even in adult stage...(with locality data). And the juveniles are fast as lightning

The ones in the above pics, by the way, are from the Iki Islands of Nagasaki Prefecture.

Interesting info, Henk. Well, this evening I cleaned the container housing my other group (from Fukuoka Prefecture in northern Kyushu) and took a census -- finding 54 of them left from the couple of egg sacs I had earlier this year. The eggs themselves came from somebody's personal biotope, not from the "wild" per say (though they are the local variation). I'll be parting with a couple dozen of these soon, which should help reduce my pinhead bill!

25041.jpg

25042.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back