Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Hynobius tokyoensis</i> habitat

TJ

Reaction score
This is a confirmed habitat in the foothills near Tokyo. H.tokyoensis egg sacs are normally found here this time of the year, only none were to be found on this day. There were plenty of frog eggs and tadpoles though. H.tokyoensis breeding appears to be somewhat delayed here in part by a recent 80-day stretch of no rain. That's rain, sleet and snow coming down in the first two pics. Might be able to show some egg sac pics next week though...

13644.jpg

13645.jpg

13646.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 14, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
It took quite a bit of effort and time, but here is the shot I'd been waiting for an opportunity to take:

13839.jpg

It's a night shot. My wife and I had searched all day and had almost given up hope when some good fortune suddenly came our way
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Earlier in the day, a pair of H.tokyoensis egg sacs were found in a small pool of water at this separate location:

13888.jpg

13889.jpg

13890.jpg

13891.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on March 29, 2004)

R

ralf

Next best thing to being there oneself. Thank you very much for these great pictures.

Ralf

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 14, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1