I Need Help Cycling My Tank

Lars

New member
Joined
Jun 29, 2014
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Texas
Country
United States
Display Name
Lauren
Howdy, thanks for reading.

I have a pretty good idea of what the tank needs; temp. in the mid sixties (F), a pH around 7, ammonia should be zero, sand, low current filtration, etc. After all this research, though, I am still unsure of what the nitrite and nitrate levels should be.

This could be due to poor understanding of how they all relate to each other. I have only had a salt water tank and I don't really remember how I kept the tank, I just know that I got it cycled and had the necessary parameters.

I just want to make sure that I cycle my tank correctly so it will be ready as soon as possible. I currently have two axies, and one is sickly at the moment. I think this may have to do with daily water changes. I'm thinking maybe she needs a more stable environment.

I know, I probably should have got this down pat before I purchased them. They were (and still are for the most part) babies and kind of an impulse buy, so I figured I would have enough time to set up a tank before they really needed it.

Any help is much appreciated! :)
 
Cycling is simple:
Amoonia comes from waste (poop, uneaten food etc)
Bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite
Another bacteria converts nitrite to nitrate
Nitrate is removed with water changes.

When a tank is fully cycled your readings should be ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=20-40ppm.

It's much easier to cycle a tank with nothing living in it - add a small amount of pure ammonia so you get readings around 4ppm, wait a few days until ammonia drops and nitrite rises, add a little more ammonia. Continue until you have ammonia and nitrite reading 0 after 24 hours, and a high nitrite reading. Change out enough water to bring nitrites under 40ppm and you're ready to go. This usually takes a few weeks, your axies will be fine in a tub with daily water changes until then.
 
Thank you auntiejude! I always see your posts on here and I think I can speak for everyone by saying that you're super helpful :) I'm so excited to get my tank started, especially now that I have an idea of what I'm doing.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top