Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help treating a fungal infection for my axie

KarmaWillow

Reaction score
Hi guys, so as you can clearly see from the photo, my about 4-year-old axolotl, his name is copper, has fungus. This isn't the first time he's gotten fungus. Actually, it's probably the fifth or sixth time. In the first year I got him and my other axie they both got fungal infections two or three times. Each time that happened, I would quarantine them in clean tubs and then give them one salt bath a day for usually about 3-4 days. Now, I am much more aware of the controversies of giving axolotls salt baths and am thinking salt baths probably aren't the best idea.

The tank parameters for my axie that is sick are: Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Nitrate: 80ppm, pH: 7.4, and temperature is usually in the range of 62-66 Fahrenheit.

I understand that the nitrate in my axies tank is much too high and have been working for the past month to try to get the levels under control by doing water changes twice a week and buying some live plants. Also, just so that you guys are aware, before I add water into my axolotl's tank I always add a dechlorinator.

So tonight as soon as possible I will be tubbing him. But I would really like some suggestions other than salt baths for treatments for fungus that are actually effective. I know of the tea bath treatment and am wondering if it has helped anyone's axie on this sub recover from a fungus infection?

I honestly have no idea why this fungus keeps coming back for my axolotls. :(

Any advice, treatment suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20201119_170259.jpg
    20201119_170259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
I’m not sure about fungal infections I’ve heard furan 2 for fungal infections works but a second opinion wouldn’t hurt. As for the nitrates golden pothos does a great job of taking out nitrates. Just don’t submerge the leaves

losfrijoles

Reaction score
Whenever we've let our nitrates slip high for too long a fungal infection inevitably follows in a week or so. It usually happens to us when our axolotl hides a poop somewhere (such as inside the hole in a tank decoration...we shake all our decorations now).

For our nitrate problems we've tried:
  • Removing all substrate. It got really bad once and we tossed it all out, never to use substrate again (unless we plant the tank).
  • Daily water changes (25% or so), sometimes preemptively if we've noticed the ammonia alert spiking.
  • Daily inspections inspections for waste, removing it the moment we see it (turkey baster ftw)
  • Using something like seachem pristine or stability.
  • Using seachem purigen in the filter (this. is. a. miracle.). It slows the formation of the cycle, but also keeps things from getting out of control in a not-fully-cycled tank.
So far the purigen and removing waste immediately have worked the best for us, with water changes being a good immediate help (she usually stops frantically swimming soon after the water change).

Also, this is us when we look at our axolotl every morning and inspect her tank:
1605925954310.png

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Treating a current fungal infection does not need anything crazy.

Use clean cold dechlorinated water with approx 1/3-1/2 teaspoon of pickling or aquarium salt added per gallon.
Change 100% of the water every 12-24 hours
Continue until approx 3 days past the fungus falling off.

I use a clean turkey baster full of tub water and irrigate the gills before and after the water change as sometimes the fungus just falls off.

PREVENTING fungus in the future

- test and water change your tank regularly - ammonia & nitrite should be 0 at all times - nitrates need to be kept at 5-20 ideally - any higher water change
- keep the temp between 15 and 18 degrees
- use either Aquarium/pickling salt at 1 tablespoon per 5-10 gallons or johns solution at 20% in their tank long term - this does NOT affect live plants as the salt concentration is so low but it aides in axolotl health tremendously. You can use Holtfreters as well but I believe the concentration is 50%.

Ryanne

Reaction score
Treating a current fungal infection does not need anything crazy.

Use clean cold dechlorinated water with approx 1/3-1/2 teaspoon of pickling or aquarium salt added per gallon.
Change 100% of the water every 12-24 hours
Continue until approx 3 days past the fungus falling off.

I use a clean turkey baster full of tub water and irrigate the gills before and after the water change as sometimes the fungus just falls off.

PREVENTING fungus in the future

- test and water change your tank regularly - ammonia & nitrite should be 0 at all times - nitrates need to be kept at 5-20 ideally - any higher water change
- keep the temp between 15 and 18 degrees
- use either Aquarium/pickling salt at 1 tablespoon per 5-10 gallons or johns solution at 20% in their tank long term - this does NOT affect live plants as the salt concentration is so low but it aides in axolotl health tremendously. You can use Holtfreters as well but I believe the concentration is 50%.
Let me make sure I understand this so I don't harm my boy. The tub he is quarantined in has salt in it as well as giving him a 15 minute salt bath? Or just salt in his quarantine tank? He is currently sitting in a plastic tank with 2 gallons of cold dechlorinated water and an Indian almond leaf, no salt.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
How is his fungus looking?

I do not recommend salt baths EVER - I have never seen a case where its more beneficial than harm. The concentration is just too high and stresses them.

I recommend adding 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water and then using to refill your tub. No extra salt for anything.

I keep 1 tablespoon per 10g in ALL of my tanks at all times and anyone tubbed its 1 teaspoon per 5g.
Safe range is 1 tablespoon per 5-10g but I haven't ever gone up to 1 tbsp per 5g.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1