Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need Peacock Tree Frog information.

E

edward

In most of the treefrogs, they seem to peak out between 4 and 8 years at this time in my experience and what little is available in the literature. With treefrogs they seem to follow the general trend where frogs that mature quickly and have large clutches have shorter lifespans (there are potentially many exceptions to this especially in Bufo) than those that take longer and have small or labor intensive clutches (such as dendrobates). When I have reared RETFs for example from egg they tend to show signs of senescence beginning at about six years of age with a heavy onset at the age of 8 with the occasional individual lasting to about 10. With smaller tree frogs such as squirrels and spring peepers, signs of senescense begin showing up at 3-4 years of age with a heavier appearence at about 6 years of age. (swollen joints not linked to "MBD", cateracts, corneal lipidosis, increased mortality are some of the symptoms I'm considering here).
Most of the time, I would estimate between 4 and 10 years depending on how old the treefrog was when obtained (as it could already be 2 or more years old).

A somewhat rambling response

Ed

pollywog

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ed, as I said I really have no idea about the life span of these frogs, also if you consider the fact that they are almost certainly WC then my original guess is a little optimistic.

demonvanity

Reaction score
HI,
I am by no means an authority on life span, however, 6 years ago I bought a pair of these frogs, and sadly the first one died in february this year and the second today, although I had no idea how old they were when I bought them they were both in the brown colouring phase so I assume already mature. from this we can safely assume 6 years plus at least

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!