<i>Pachyhynobius shangchengensis</i> food preferences?

P

paris

ok, so i have mine for about 2 weeks now. they did seem to like 1 pellet food, but i tried giving them something 'nice' so i chopped up euro night crawlers. they went for them like a magnet!-then spit them out...then they went for them like a magnet!-then spit them out...then .......you get the picture. so whats up with these critters, what do they seem to like to eat best for you other keepers?

Mine like worms best (Canadian nightcrawlers), raw shrimp next and chopped fish last. With every type of worm I have ever used, It seems like sometimes certain salamanders do not like the taste of them. It's not consistent, it's not one specific salamander and it happens with all types of worms.

Mine liked nightcrawlers. They always went crazy however, when I put a netful of live scuds into their tank. Seems like the way the scuds moved triggered the "beast" in them.

posting answer to my own post -time has enlightened me

i know it seems odd to post a reply to ones own post, but this info might help some others. i did feed mine chopped worms for a while but i have found they are pretty fond of the ranagen soft moist pellets (largest size) and they pretty much get that as their staple, worms are a treat.

ranagen pellets

Deare Paris, sorry for my ignorance. What are those type of pellets?

Alejandro, Paris means "Rangen" pellets, which are a sinking carnivore pellet. Rangen is the brand name: http://www.rangen.com/

yeah, that is them-i feed the largest pellet size and these guys usually dont have any sitting around after a few hours -as opposed to my L. shihi who sort of pick at them. my pachyhynobius are pretty darn fat too...photos will come someday when i can find the conversion software i misplaced for my camera.

rangen

Thank you Kayse and Paris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back