<i>Ranodon</i> anyone?

P

paris

i have seen this beautiful salamander in the 'salamander und molche' postcard set and also on the eyewitness video series video for amphibians-both pic and video show the males gaurding the egg mass.(that postcard picture is so adorible). (i know they fertilize it externally-but according to the viedo the male was warding off preditors by standing over them and making large agressive gaping mouth movements.) i have found web references to breeding programs and also references to keeping them in captivity-so i am guessing that even though they are a very rare species-they were in the hobby before they were listed in 1997. does any one know of any in captivity-or if anyone has had success with them? anyone in the usa?

Hai Paris, this species is in a really bad state for now. I thikn that here are only about 6 or 8 known animals among hobbyists/herpetologists overhere and I would truly be very surprised to hear that any are in the US. 2 seriosu urodelists overhere are trying hard to get them to breed but it hasn't worked over the last 4 years.

I know of one instance where they were bred in Russia, but this was done with hormones and cnocerned R. sibericus. For me as well this is one of those species that I would love to try breeding too and maybe .. just maybe I may get a chance in the near future .

I just thought I might bring this up again. I have become very intrested in just about all Ranodon and was wondering if there is anyone out there having success with them?
Henk,
Did you ever get a chance to aquire any of these?
Thanks,
Travis

No Travis, 3 years ago 2 Ranodons were offered for sale in Gersfeld and I missed the chance to buy them (approx 125 USD each)... so far no other such animals were imported again

There is an article about 'the experiences of ranodon sibiricus offspring'(in german) on amphibia by Thomas Mutz.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back