I think my Axolotl has a fungus, what do I do?

ShadowWalker520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, so I just noticed today that my axolotl Remi, has these weird white string esc things hanging off some of his feet.

He just recently changed to a new, bigger tank, and seemed to be doing ok. He Still has an appetite and his gills aren't curved forward, but I'm really worried for him. He's my first axolotl, so I'm very new to all of this.

He also has brown spots all over him, but he's had them for a while now and don't seem to be bothering him. He's around 9 months old.

Sorry if it's hard to see whats on his toes in the picture.

Any help would be immensly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200818_225239.jpg
    20200818_225239.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 488
  • 20200818_225206.jpg
    20200818_225206.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,337
Hello, so I just noticed today that my axolotl Remi, has these weird white string esc things hanging off some of his feet.

He just recently changed to a new, bigger tank, and seemed to be doing ok. He Still has an appetite and his gills aren't curved forward, but I'm really worried for him. He's my first axolotl, so I'm very new to all of this.

He also has brown spots all over him, but he's had them for a while now and don't seem to be bothering him. He's around 9 months old.

Sorry if it's hard to see whats on his toes in the picture.

Any help would be immensly appreciated!
I also forgot to add that he has a slime issue which i hear is normal for growing acids. He had it in his last tank and I'm noticing it in this tank too.

Have you tested your tank?
temp?

Slime coat issues are not normal at all

The dots are more pronounced than they should be.

Do you have a picture of the possible fungus?

Have you tested your tank?
temp?

Slime coat issues are not normal at all

The dots are more pronounced than they should be.

Do you have a picture of the possible fungus?
His tank temp is steady around 74-73°F. It's difficult keeping it any lower then that, due to weather here being well over 117°F. But i have been giving him ice to help keep it cool.

The slime is very loose and stringy, the picture shows a piece on one of his houses, and my sister's axolotl tank has has had the same thing on her tank since we got these guys almost two months ago, only I don't think it's attached to her axie.

Attachments

• 15978687165571131074005675369010.jpg
    15978687165571131074005675369010.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 276
Can you get a wine cooler to have your tubbed lotl in to get through the heat - their slime coats may be getting cooked off. They need 68 at the highest.

His tank temp is steady around 74-73°F. It's difficult keeping it any lower then that, due to weather here being well over 117°F. But i have been giving him ice to help keep it cool.

The slime is very loose and stringy, the picture shows a piece on one of his houses, and my sister's axolotl tank has has had the same thing on her tank since we got these guys almost two months ago, only I don't think it's attached to her axie.

Slime shouldn't be loose at all, it's supposed to be well attached to their bodies and the weird thing from his fingers must be the slime layer cooking off them.
Please get him into a tank with the proper temperature ASAP, I've seen people using iced water bottles and changing them but it's not really effective or recommended.
The proper temperature at max is 64, best kept at 59 and NEVER above 70.

Poor axie must be so stressed because of the heat :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back