I thought I found an axie

Ruto

Reaction score
Country
United States
So one day I'm in a creek with the kids and noticed a pleco like thing in the water so I grabbed it and to my surprise saw a lizard with gills. So my newbie self put my 2+2 together and said holy cow I found an axie.... I always wanted one and here it was and even better free yay šŸ˜Š...

Well fast forwarding today my thought to be axie jumped out the tank and won't stay in....seems it has no gills anymore. Did some research and it looks like my find wasn't an axie but a northern two lined salamander. But I'm here to just confirm and make sure I have it right. I intend to release my now salamander to his original home tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_190811_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220928_190811_HDR.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 447
Axolotls are only found in a lake in Mexico. You will never find a wild axolotl anywhere but in Mexico so if you're not in Mexico, you will not find an axolotl.

Axolotls are only found in a lake in Mexico. You will never find a wild axolotl anywhere but in Mexico so if you're not in Mexico, you will not find an axolotl.
Thanks for the fact. If I ever find a gilled lizard again going forward I will assume it's a salamander

There are a wide variety of neotenic salamanders native to North America including axolotls, sirens, and mudpuppies.

I
There are a wide variety of neotenic salamanders native to North America including axolotls, sirens, and mudpuppies

Ok so I'm a tad confused reading this. Earlier we said axies are only found in Mexico waters. Now I'm reading some are native to America.

North America includes Mexico, United States, and Canada, and some would include parts of Central America too. North America is a continent. The United States is a country a part of that continent. Mexico is also part of that continent. Axolotls are native only to Mexico which is part of North America but not native to the United States which is commonly called "America".

North America includes Mexico, United States, and Canada, and some would include parts of Central America too. North America is a continent. The United States is a country a part of that continent. Mexico is also part of that continent. Axolotls are native only to Mexico which is part of North America but not native to the United States which is commonly called "America".
Well looks like someone needs a geography 101 class refresher šŸ˜†

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back