Ichthyosaura glory.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I´ve only had this species for two years and although i enjoyed every second of watching them grow, become mature, their first eggs, etc, it´s not until now that i have witnessed utter perfection. This year, the first male to mature has gone all out in display. Don´t you all just love this species? They are so bloody pretty they hurt my eyes.

They received just two weeks of real cooling this year while i was at my parent´s for the holidays. At that time, the three males started to develop the pretty colours and a swollen cloaca (picture 1). Now, at 13ºC the most precocious male is just looking awesome. The tail is really broad and translucent and the colours are at their best. I´m in love.
Curiously enough, the other two males, while very much in the mood for breeding, have underdeveloped colours and tails, which makes me think this may be part of the famous inhibition phenomenon in Ichthyosaura? While being roughly the same size, last year, only one male was ready to breed (though not looking as fine as this year), the other two showed no signs of being ready.

I know this is a very easy species, just old alpine newts...but personally i´m having a smashing time with this species and their full spectacle of glorious coloration. My eyes are not worthy!!

Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus courting. - YouTube

PS: Excuse the quality of the pictures... i know talking about the glory of this species and only having crappy bad light pìctures is sad, but it´s how things are :p

Attachments

• DSCN2058_003.JPG
    DSCN2058_003.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 237
  • P1080494.JPG
    P1080494.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 250
  • P1080498.JPG
    P1080498.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 229

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
They are wonderful. I think it's one of the prettiest species of newts.
It's a little bit disturbing though how you're so smitten with the boys and don't even mention the lady/ladies...the one in the photo is also pretty....I mean pretty chubby...:D Hope you get eggs!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aawww... I can remember when they were little embryos and now look at them, all grown up and frisky.

I think they are super little newts too.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
No discrimination intended here. I like both :p
However, as beautiful as the females are, it´s difficult to ignore the blue flashes, purple backs, crazy flanks and checkered crest of the males... I´m sorry ladies, but the males win the beauty pageant.

And making embryos of their own, Mark :D

I spent well over an hour yesterday just watching them. All the males are fanning, but the alpha is on a rampage. It even fanned my finger when i placed it on the glass.
Such a fantastic species....and so easy to care for it´s almost suspicious.

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Too bad we're not allowed to keep indigenous animals here, because it's one of the most beautiful newts. I see them sometimes during my fieldtrips though, so I can enjoy them as well if only just a little. :(

obicat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a group of 6. I got them as juveniles in December last year. They came as smallish juveniles and are now fairly big adults. 2 are HUGE compared to the others. They are all looking rounded now despite not being over fed. Is there a difference size wise between the genders?

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
awesome! Mine are in the same state of tail-fanning hysteria. I have 3 pairs , and some days I can see all 3 of them fanning away busily at the ladies. Their colors are amazing. They live in a cavernous 40 ga breeder tank in my bedroom, and I could watch them all day long.

An interesting note: In the first pic, it shows that your tank bottom is very light colored. Mine used to be as well, and the newts were more light-colored then like yours are. Since I put a black foam pad under the tank, their colors have all darkened and deepened, and they look, in my opinion, even more spectacular than they did when my tank bottom was light colored.

Neil C

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Newts always amaze me when it come to the breeding season. Most of the year they just amble around, generally bumping into things and the only thing that seems to arouses any reaction is food. Yet come courtship time BAM! This secret, complex program gets activated and all of a sudden your bumbling newt has been replaced by a highly trained and flamboyant ladies man! The focus and desire are unstoppable and any series of extravagant manoeuvres seem to be accomplished with ease. Fast foward a month or two and Mr Magoo is back in his tank.........

Regards Neil

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Ah, Neil, the power of hormones... Funnily enough they seem to work in exactly the opposite way in humans.
As active as the alpestris males are right now, they don´t hold a candle to the pyrrhogaster....now that´s hysteria. They dart around the tank as if missing one second of tail fanning a female would cause the fabric of the universe to collapse.
"Spring" time is such a wonderful time :p

Neils, that sucks, but at least you can keep dobrogicus which are not short in glorious beauty :D You must upload pictures of that male, by the way, it looks good!

Molch, i confess i liked them better when they were all light coloured :p They looked like a radioactive conglomerate of different chewing gums. Argh.....they are just too pretty.

As i finish writting this, the alpha male is getting some of his medicine as the female he is courting is courting him back o_O

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Some better pictures.
I am oh so happy with my lovely little apuanus :D

Attachments

• P1080535.JPG
    P1080535.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 191
  • P1080523.JPG
    P1080523.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 264
  • P1080513.JPG
    P1080513.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 183
  • P1080506.JPG
    P1080506.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 171

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a difference size wise between the genders?
Not really, they're both roughly the same size. Females tend to be bulkier around the abdomen, especially before egg laying, but otherwise they are the same.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not really, they're both roughly the same size. Females tend to be bulkier around the abdomen, especially before egg laying, but otherwise they are the same.

huh...from my roamings and newt catchings as a kid I remember that the males routinely were smaller than the females; that's true of my 6 captive ones as well....

obicat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I'm fairly sure they are too young to be laying eggs, but the 2 biggest ones are definitely much bigger round the abdomen. Whats the youngest they would lay eggs :confused:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
huh...from my roamings and newt catchings as a kid I remember that the males routinely were smaller than the females; that's true of my 6 captive ones as well....
There does appear to be a disparity in growth rates between the sexes. Males are generally slower to reach their full adult size, although they become sexually mature quickly. I noticed this too in my group, but after 4-5 years they've pretty much caught the females up.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
There does appear to be a disparity in growth rates between the sexes. Males are generally slower to reach their full adult size, although they become sexually mature quickly. I noticed this too in my group, but after 4-5 years they've pretty much caught the females up.

interesting. I've noticed that some of my apuanus babies are getting bigger faster than others, although all are good eaters. The smaller ones are also darker in most cases - I wonder if the big ones will be the girls then.

That makes me also wonder if alpine newts you encounter in the wild aren't very old, usually. I hardly remember ever finding males that looked as large as females.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
When Mark sent me this group, three were smaller and darker and he said his money was on them being males. Turns out the prediction was spot on.
My females are slightly longer than the males, but the difference is less than you can see in other species. However, it seems that in high altitude populations, females can get to large sizes that no male would achieve.

Obicat, i only have experience with my group so far, but they laid fertile eggs last year around this time and i had only had them for a year, so i believe they were around a year and a half. They can mature younger than that, though, specially males.

Last edited:

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
My alpine males are a bit shorter than the females. Age range of my adults is 6-23 years old, and no male is longer than any female.

I was under the impression that this was normal in the wild as well, I'm sure I've read a few papers that suggest this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Paige1warren:
    Also, she was fine at the higher temperature. Perfectly healthy and never showed signs of de stress. Just thought it being colder would make her happier and digest a little slower! (She’s a pig :p )
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    is it normal for a tiger to jump at you from being the glass
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    @Paige1warren That should be fine. I wouldn't suddenly put her in very cold water without acclimatisation, but a few degrees over the course of two hours shouldn't be a problem at all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Is anyone online? I need help badly
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    I have had my 2 axolotls since June 2020 and I had hoped they would mature the same gender but unfortunately they are not. I am currently on vacation and planned to separate them once I returned, my axolotls are currently being cared for by a friend who knows the basics to care for them properly. A melanoid and a leucistic. I had a feeling but didn't prioritize it enough and now I have many many eggs in the tank with both of my axolotls. I have zero experience with eggs and cannot really care for juvenile axolotls but I really DO NOT want to kill them. What should I do? Are my axolotls okay being in the same tank with them? would the eggs be okay all together in a tank by themselves? Where can I find someone to care for them and hatch them?I'm so stressed and worried I just want the best for them all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axie owner:
    you are going to have to get a bucket and put the eggs in that. they can hatch anytime between 11 and 20 days. order in brine shrimp eggs and get your friend to watch a video on hatching them. make sure your friend does 100% water changes every day. keep the water around 64digres and make sure your friend sends daily updates on them. i found kitchen salt works for the brine shrimp eggs. hope this helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gots2knowme2:
    I am a new owner of two juvenile axolotls that are Lucie's. One has black eyes and one has silver eyes. Is that common or rare?
    +1
    Unlike
  • FP.Foxy:
    A few days ago, my Axolotl was about to die, there was something wrong with the water but he’s doing fine now. His skin is still cracked and his red things are still white
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hi guys.. I might of made an error and need some advice. One of the hides in my tank is too small for my axie now, but I did not want to buy another hide because they are expensive, so I decided to DIY one. I used a Tupperware (cut into a little home) and glued rocks from outside and plants on it. The problem is, I washed the rocks with soap and hot water. I completely wasn’t thinking. When I washed them there was no soap residue that was visible on the rocks, and the rocks have been drying for 3 days on the container. So it has been 3 days since I washed them. I used aquarium safe silicone to glue them on. It was fully dry tonight so I decided to put it in my tank. I had it in for about 3 mins until I realized j had washed the rocks in soap, and I took it out immediately. Should I be worried??? I’m really freaking out, I don’t want anything to happen to my baby! I was truly not thinking. I also read that it was safe to use rocks from outside, but now I’m not sure? Can anyone help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Since you took it out straight away it should be ok but I'd still be doing a big water change. When I was a teen, I took some rocks from outside, washed them (probably in soap) and put them in my turtle tank. He died a week or so later and I've never used any rocks from the garden since because you just don't know what's been on them, such as pesticide and I suppose the mineral composition of the rock comes in to play too. Letting them dry for a few days before adding them also would have helped so you should be fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    @Saturn, okay, thank you so much! Firstly, I’m so sorry about your turtle :(. My lotl seems to be fine, I haven’t noticed any changes or signs of destress. I do 25% weekly water changes (I have a fully cycled tank), but I will do a 50% change today. I hope that everything turns out fine. Axies are pretty good at showing they are not well or stressed so I’m hoping that I got the rocks out fast enough. Thank you again!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Thanks hun and you're absolutely right, axolotls are so sensitive it would've showed signs. Glad your lotl is ok :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Hii my tiger salamander has a black bump on his head, its looks like a little spot but its forming into a bump and its like making a hole..? You can tell i need help , please help😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Do i just give him a salt bath?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You need to take him to the vet if there's a hole that's forming in his head.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    New to site. Have a Golden Albino and a Black Melanoid
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    Tank size 40 gal. 2 filter pumps /substrate roughed ceramic easy to clean / feed each one night crawler every 3 rd day
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ceramic substrate? That sounds interesting. What should I imagine by that?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Can't say if this is what's being referred to, but I had some ceramic tiles in an aquarium for a while. I used a silicone sealant to secure them to the bottom and to each other. It worked well for about 6 months, but eventually a little water got through my imperfect seal and started creating mold problems
    +2
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ooh, tiles of course. I was thinking of those ceramic rings/balls you can buy as filter medium, but tiles make more sense. Thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Stacy:
    Hi there, I am a new Axolotl lover & owner of two cuties! They are little over 6 months old now. I have a divider and decided to see how they would be together because they always tried to get to each other threw the border/wall.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    In PowerSchool, what is your current grade for this class?Do you have any missing or incomplete assignments for this class?If yes, what assignments do you plan to complete before the end of the marking period (March 25th)?What can I do to help you get your grade to where you need it to be before the end of the marking period?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh shoot wrong thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
    JoyJiang: Looolllllll +1