ID help: Ambystoma maculatum (spotted salamander) larvae?

Neuro100

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Neuro100
Just joined today, have a lot of pages to read, but wanted to ask for help with an ID.

In April when I was cleaning off our pool cover, I found an egg mass in among the leaves and water. I put it in a big glass bowl with some aged tap water and a few of the leaves. The egg mass was smooth and slightly greenish in places, which worried me until I read this article about spotted salamanders and their symbiotic relationship with algae.
LMB_2150.JPG

Some started hatching after about a week. I collected a little water from a nearby vernal pool at first, hoping there were some things in there the smallest larvae might eat. As they've gotten bigger I've been feeding them live blackworms, which they gulp down (ha, now I have a tupperware full of worms in my fridge). I think they've also been eating mosquito larvae that are laid in their outdoor tank, because those seem to disappear.

LMB_2305 cropped adj.jpg

Right now the water in the tank is shallow--maybe 3" deep, with some leaves to hide under. I'm keeping it shallow so it gets enough oxygen without a bubbler, since that much turbulence seems problematic for these delicate little guys. I've read that water quality is important, but I haven't been changing the water, thinking that they normally live in stagnant pools that are slowly evaporating. Maybe this is a mistake?

The biggest one is close to 2" long by now. I'm planning to release them into the woods behind our house after they transform. I'm not sure what they are, but the egg mass algae made me think spotted salamander. Any ideas? (My profile picture is also one of them.)

LMB_2510 cropped adj.jpg

Ohmy

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are gorgeous! I would have to keep at least one!

Good job raising those little babies and giving them a chance at life.

Neuro100

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Neuro100
Waiting for a rainy evening to let them go...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1