ID needed of juvenile salamanders found wild in the UK

FlAsHFlOoD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A small pond in southern england was reported to contain axolotls. As far as I am aware there are no native UK salamander species so this was somewhat of a surprise!

Several specimens were found. They all had gills behind the head, but the colours and patterns did not look like axolotls so i assume they are juveniles from another species of salamander. Does anyone recognise what these are?

Thanks!

pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/vHm5t

FlAsHFlOoD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.

We don't have salamanders. Our largest newts are called great crested newts. I have been looking at photos of GCN juveniles since posting this, and I think that is all they are. Well, GCNs are a protected species, so it is good to find them, but it is most likely that this is what they are, rather than some exotic introduced species.

example GCN picture:

https://goo.gl/images/hNoVPm

The belly does it for me, and the spots are similar.

False alarm (i think)!

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi !

The third pic looks like an advanced crested newt larva.
This species exists in UK

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
1,2 palmate or smooth, 3,4,5 crested.
j.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
As others have said, the large ones are Triturus cristatus, I thought I'd better mention that while all our native newts are protected to some degree, Smooth and Palmate newts can be collected, handled, studied etc as long as they're not sold for profit. Crested newts however, are given the very highest level of protection making it illegal to interfere with them or their environment in any way whatsoever without permission from Natural England.

FlAsHFlOoD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your help. They are a nice find, though not by me! They were reported as axolotls by a member of the public. I'm a river ecologist.

cheers

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I wouldn't be surprised to see Axolotls turn up in a pond somewhere in the UK. I bet there's been a fair few turned loose over the years and they can survive our winters quite easily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1