Question: Identifying help

tcbemis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! We had some what we thought were frogs eggs brought into my classroom in May. Turns out they're salamander larvae from the Southern Tier of New York State. The are doing great, we've had them roughly 6 weeks now. They're eating blood worms and whatever they find in the pond water. We really didn't expect them to do so well! We haven't lost a single one! I brought them home to finish raising.

My question is... We don't know what they are, and would like to start thinking about the best habitat to set up for them soon. We're thinking that they're spotted sallies? I'm hoping my pictures work! Thank you so much!
enetanu4.jpg
a3enudy7.jpg
y3ejy2y3.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I should add, they're spotty/ mottled, with some yellowish spots appearing, very light colored underside.

Do you need better pics? Too young to identify?

Maybe Ambystoma maculatum? Clearer pictures would help though

u3a7ymuv.jpg
ba2amy7e.jpg
asa5ytug.jpg
y6y5adu6.jpg

That's about the best we've been able to get. Right now we have them in those plastic critter carriers and the sides are not the clearest. So I hope that helps!

Although I am not an expert, my best guess would be Ambystoma maculatum, the Yellow Spotted Salamander. Hope that helps!

Thanks Dyelon, that's what we think too! There's one with developing yellow circles...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back