If gold fish have 2 seconds of memory how long does axie have?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
I have been told that axie have longer memeries than most aquatic creatures . But for how long? :wacko:

Re: If gold fish gave 2 seconds of memory how long does axie have?

I'd like to know the answer to this question myself. I've only had my axolotls for a week but every time I walk into the room they come to the glass and stare at me. They know it's time to eat...such little piggies.
There tank is set up right beside my bed so when I wake up I can see them. They are always right next to the glass facing me and waiting, it's like their staring into my soul. lol

Lol I know right? That is some good memory . Although it could be from their bad eye sight and since they don't have eye lids I can almost picturing them squinting they eyes to see us moving around and wonder if if that is eidible :D

Two seconds for a goldfish? You'd think they'd forget feeding time or that pellets are food! Who comes up with these silly conclusions? Amphibians are supposedly a higher life form so maybe five seconds unless of course you have one that remembers that a worm on the end of your forceps is feeding time and not something harmful. Hmmmm can't decide on this one especially since my son seems to forget to change his smelly socks each day!

:grin: I guess muscle memorie doesn't count when in cones to intelligence. But we all can agree that gold fish is very dumb and axie is unlikely. Goldfish would get them self stuck in stupid places while axie has never get stuck anywhere unless they want to , smart but also very stubborn which also a good sigh of wildlife intelligence. ( ability to make decisions beyond natural instinct) but just how much ?

From what I have observed and some of the research I have done I do believe that axolotls are Fairley intelligent. We can observe this in their eating patterns and personalities.

Each axolotl is slightly different in their behavior. Some are more docile and prefer to hide while others are very interactive and constantly watching what's going on around them. I personally have 5 axolotls, and each one is extremely different. My albino spends her days hiding and being a recluse while my other female wild type will chase my finger on the glass and watch me constantly.

Another tell tell sign of intelligence is how we can train our axolotls to eat differently. Some axolotls are trained in hand feeding, where we hold their food in front of them until they eat it. Another form of eating is when axolotls are trained to eat out of a specific feeding dish. In these cases the axolotl is capable of remembering and acknowledging that this is where they receive their meals from. Personally I prefer to drop food about my tank and let my axolotls search and hunt for their meals. ( cleaning up the extras after they are done of course ) Even this aspect shows that they are able to search for nutrition.

Axolotls are also able to spit substances back up if they do not enjoy it, such as sand or other objects that they recognize not to be food. All of these aspects point towards intellectual intelligence in these small creatures and I for one think that is brilliant. :happy:

Fish do not have a 2 second memory. They have been shown to recognise people and can even be trained. Looking through this site made me chuckle.
R2 Fish School Training Kit
I get the feeling that some of my fish, especially the dwarf puffers, would not fall for being trained. I feel axolotls are the same, although their eyesight is not great I think that they can recognise movement near the tank and possibly even distinguish their main owner/feeder from others. They also investigate their environment, find their way around their tanks, and seem to end up with favourite hides and hang outs. :happy:

I heard about fish training , and no I don't think all fish have only 2 seconds of memories but I do believe only gold fish does . I own 2 fancy gold fish the big one is a size of a ski gove and one is my fist size. They has been with my axolotl for a few years now ( they don't have teeth so they eat left over and axolotl poop) my axolotl has been riding him around the tank ( still trying to take picture but never caught it on the right moment yet) it's quite amusing to watch actually. :D

Memory doesn't work like that. A 2 second memory is actually not even a viable possibility as memory is not a video/audio recorder. We have different types of memories that have specific characteristics as do all animals. Axolotls certainly seem quite "smart" atleast in terms of classical conditioning. My girlfriend has been using a set of cooking tongs/tweezers for the last few weeks and they will now strike at the rubber tips whether there is a worm of not.

Oscar fish are also very smart from what I have experienced.

I thought when I was talking about memory I was talking about the ability to actually remember ( like recording) not the intelligence part of it. Like how my gold fish seems to forget that the axie was on his back every 2 second, so he freak out for 2 second then forgot that he has been freaking out every 2 second till either axie let go of him, more axie starting to pile them self on top of the gold fish and he completely squash. :eek:

Goldfish have more than a 2 second memory for sure, I can't believe people still believe that age old myth! ? I've kept fancy goldfish for years, they too all have their own personalities much like axolotls and recognise people and remember what time tea is. My one fish hated my boyfriend and would hide whenever he approached the tank (no clue why, must just look scary ?) whereas she got all excited to see me!

Axolotls are much the same but I don't think they could ever hate anyone that provides lovely food haha. They've very alert and they'll follow me around the room, I agree it's like they stare into your soul, those big black eyes always watching lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with any pet I know from experience that's true. I guess from the saying that gold fish have only 2 seconds of memories must seem odd when life is such a routine for all living creatures. There are many types of memories in our complex brain. I guess the two seconds of memories are similar to the idea of Alzheimer's or Fibro Fog? I was diagnose with Fibromyalgia my self so I used to joke around of how similar of my Fibro Fog to my giant gold fish behavior. Not completely forget but the sudden incapable of processing the present situation, or temporary blur memory. :wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back