Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm going bare bottoms from now on!

Molch

Reaction score
Well yay. And no, I'm not talking about a new wardrobe philosophy :blush:

I switched the alpies to bare-bottom and I must say, I'm delighted at the ease of cleaning and feeding. The newt folks don't seem to care one way or another as long as there's someplace to sit and hide and of course food to hunt.

My inner aesthete balked at this idea for a long time, but I think my inner cleaning lady has won the day...:wacko:

:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,559

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
all my tanks are bare bottom. I break it up a little with a few glass beads or some pretty rocks, but just scattered, not a layer.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
bare bottoms are great for cleaning but a flower pot and a few scattered smooth stones help for bacteria growth and decoration and hides.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The plant in the foreground is java fern (Microsorum pteropus).

The plant in the background is Borneo fern (Trichomanes javanicum). The plant actually doesn't grow well, if at all, fully submereged. However, it does do extremely well in a terrarium or at the waters edge of a semi-aquatic setup.

Molch

Reaction score
thanks Justin - I've been wondering about that fern. I have them on roots now partially out of the water. They dry out real fast though unless the humidity is very high....I do fear it might be too cold for them in my newt tank - 55 F.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!