Importing Newts from UK

jessica

Reaction score
Display Name
Jessica J. Miller
hello,
does anybody know the regulations or permits required for bringing newts back to the states from the UK? i will be there for a short vacation, and i want to bring back some c. ensicauda. any information will be helpful.

thanks,
jessica

You need to contact USFW and get a form 3-177. It's a declaration form. You won't need an import permit as long as these are not for commercial (re-sale) purposes. You will need to have your newts inspected by a USFW agent upon arrival in the US.Might be an extra fee if this is on a weekend.The regular inspection fee is around 45.00. I am not sure if this needs to be done at an official port of entry since these are carry on, not air cargo.

You also need to have all export papers in order to get the newts out of the UK, which may include health papers from a vet also. The US doesn't require any health papers on amphibians.

All in all, it's a real pain and the last time I imported salamanders, I swore I would never do it again.Just hope the USFW agent is friendly, otherwise your in for a real treat, trust me
angry.gif

Thanks EK. Do you happen to know what export papers are required from the UK?

thanks,
jessica

I don't remember off hand, but I think you need something from their wildlife people as well as paperwork from a vet. I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back