Inbreeding Neuregus Strauchii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several times now that the limited bloodline available for Neuregus Strauchii means that in breeding has started to occur in large numbers. I want to buy a group of 4 juveniles but want to know how hard are they to source in the UK and are there enough bloodlines to make it worth while breeding them?

I have no idea how hard they are to source in the UK. I would say that it may be worth breeding them, even if they are inbred. My animals are inbred, but they still produce healthy offspring. There always seems to be a demand for this species because they are very pretty and not available wild-caught.

There seem to be at most a handful of bloodlines (maybe less) in europe but i doubt any of them has gone through a significant number of generations so inbreeding is unlikely to be having an impact.
I have no idea if you can track different bloodline in the UK, but it is possible to do so at a european level (i know someone who has). It´s extra work, but i think it´s something that should always be encouraged.

You could try dartfrog.co.uk, they sell their own captive bred juvaniles.

Sorry, sometimes i take stuff on face value! i was only suggesting they might have info on UK bloodlines. I am not in any way connected to dartfrog, i was just repeating what it says on their website.

Not that I would recommend or not recommend dartfrog specifically, but to be fair they only claim to breed 14 out 60 species offered on the site, and most of these are dendrobatids.

Amphibians seem to be very resilient to captive breeding, at least in terms of gross phenotype. Some research has shown inbreeding depression in very small, isolated populations of wild amphibians (e.g. Trevor Beebee's work on Natterjacks in the UK) and a possible case related to loss of predator recognition/avoidance in Alytes muletensis, although this could be due to to adaptation to captivity (or both).

In terms of maintaining healthy captive populations, it would be ideal to avoid extensive inbreeding (particularly continuous breeding over generations of sibling groups), but on the other hand it would be foolish to allow populations to die out rather than breed them. It is potentially beneficial to maintain 'closed' lines with only occasional outbreeding with other lines. Otherwise, with too much crossing one can end up with just one, inbred population with each individual related to all the others.

C

In terms of maintaining healthy captive populations, it would be ideal to avoid extensive inbreeding (particularly continuous breeding over generations of sibling groups), but on the other hand it would be foolish to allow populations to die out rather than breed them. It is potentially beneficial to maintain 'closed' lines with only occasional outbreeding with other lines. Otherwise, with too much crossing one can end up with just one, inbred population with each individual related to all the others.

C

This is very true, it could happen, unless of course the gene pool of that single population is diverse enough.
These questions are very complicated and unfortunately rarely addressed. There have been discussions about this and related topics before but they never seem to go beyond acknowledging the problems. The next step which is trying to come up with ways to address them, fails to happen, and it´s no surprise, it´s not easy...at all...

I don't think inbreeding in captive amphibians will be much of an issue. For one thing, we are controlling so many factors that they have to deal with in nature that a slight fitness restraint or loss of adaptability won't make much of a difference. Secondly, if there is a a trait that causes infertility or some other devastating factor, that small percent of whatever remains will not last long in the gene pool (however narrow) and will be weeded out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back