Indoors or outside

Shilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am looking to see peoples views on keeping salamanders indoors or outside?
i am looking to setup enclosures but would like to know pros/cons. i will be looking to keep a few different species/ not mixing species!!!!
tiger sal, both subspecies.
terrestris
bernadezi
fastousa
spotted - if they can be obtained, haven't seen them for years. are they still about?
i can do either in or out, i was leaning more outside. if anyone could share any information about keeping outside with pictures, would be much appreciated, i know the basics, just worried about the winter.
" i know they need to be frost free, but a damp environment in freezing temps, how deep does a sal have to go go get out of frost?
or could they be bought in over winter, put in a big plastic storage box over winter then put outside?
its just the winter side to sals im not to sure on, so any help, hints, tips and personal experience, pictures with explanation would be much appreciated.
many thanks
paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back