Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Infection or bite??

Darlalowe

Reaction score
I house 2 axolotls in a 35 gallon tank well planted and plenty of hides. This axolotl hasn’t been eating and is getting sickly, for the past few weeks I’ve been trying to get her to eat. I just noticed this on her mouth today, could it be a bite from my other axolotl or does it look fungal or some kind of infection? Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• 35D25EAD-4997-4846-8E92-965218090F9E.jpeg
    35D25EAD-4997-4846-8E92-965218090F9E.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 2FF7E876-29DC-4C75-A61A-DCB6B21C304A.jpeg
    2FF7E876-29DC-4C75-A61A-DCB6B21C304A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 100

fishkid

Reaction score
a tank mate is more likely to nip at limbs that look like food. It could be a bite but either way, especially if this guy is sick, I would tub in fresh cool water with 100% daily water changes so you can monitor and try to get them to eat. I'd also add some indian almond leaves to prevent or target infection. what are your current water parameters and how much are they being fed/offered?

Darlalowe

Reaction score
a tank mate is more likely to nip at limbs that look like food. It could be a bite but either way, especially if this guy is sick, I would tub in fresh cool water with 100% daily water changes so you can monitor and try to get them to eat. I'd also add some indian almond leaves to prevent or target infection. what are your current water parameters and how much are they being fed/offered?
These are my water parameters, I’ve been trying to rid of nitrates in my tank for a week now, did two water changes and added a ton of live plants along with a new filter. There are always live minnows in the tank, the sickly one I noticed hasn’t been eating so I started putting her in a tub with the minnow so it’s easier to catch and she eats(been doing this the past week every other day). So she eats 1-2 minnows every other day(that’s all she will eat, but has lost an appetite for the past few weeks). The other axolotl has no issues eating and seems happy.
She has always been sickly since I got her but this is the worst I have seen. And the infection made it even worse. Right now I have her in a tub with a fungal and bacterial treatment (pimafix and melafix). Should I be using conditioned tap water or cycled water for her tub?

Attachments

• B9A82CF2-FD7D-447C-BC38-322561BC9EDC.jpeg
    B9A82CF2-FD7D-447C-BC38-322561BC9EDC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88

fishkid

Reaction score
These are my water parameters, I’ve been trying to rid of nitrates in my tank for a week now, did two water changes and added a ton of live plants along with a new filter. There are always live minnows in the tank, the sickly one I noticed hasn’t been eating so I started putting her in a tub with the minnow so it’s easier to catch and she eats(been doing this the past week every other day). So she eats 1-2 minnows every other day(that’s all she will eat, but has lost an appetite for the past few weeks). The other axolotl has no issues eating and seems happy.
She has always been sickly since I got her but this is the worst I have seen. And the infection made it even worse. Right now I have her in a tub with a fungal and bacterial treatment (pimafix and melafix). Should I be using conditioned tap water or cycled water for her tub?
ok, so for starters, the strip tests are not very accurate or good quality, that also doesn't appear to have an ammonia reading? I would recommend getting a liquid test kit if you can. live feeders like minnows really shouldn't be a staple, you should be offering nightcrawlers or pellets as well. primafix and melafix also shouldn't be used for axolotls, for fungal benefits add some Indian almond leaves and/or do some tea baths if you notice fungal growth. you should be using dechlorinated tap water for the tub and changing 100% at least once daily. It does appear that your pH is also low if am looking at the chart correctly, you may want to try to raise that using some crushed coral in a bag in the filter, also be careful of that if you use IALs.

Darlalowe

Reaction score
ok, so for starters, the strip tests are not very accurate or good quality, that also doesn't appear to have an ammonia reading? I would recommend getting a liquid test kit if you can. live feeders like minnows really shouldn't be a staple, you should be offering nightcrawlers or pellets as well. primafix and melafix also shouldn't be used for axolotls, for fungal benefits add some Indian almond leaves and/or do some tea baths if you notice fungal growth. you should be using dechlorinated tap water for the tub and changing 100% at least once daily. It does appear that your pH is also low if am looking at the chart correctly, you may want to try to raise that using some crushed coral in a bag in the filter, also be careful of that if you use IALs.
I’ve tried night crawlers and pellets and blood worms and the only thing she’s willing to eat is minnows she spits everything else out but the other axolotl eats pellets and minnows. I will get another test kit today any suggestions on which one? Also, any opinion on a salt bath? Or any idea on the eating issue?

fishkid

Reaction score
I’ve tried night crawlers and pellets and blood worms and the only thing she’s willing to eat is minnows she spits everything else out but the other axolotl eats pellets and minnows. I will get another test kit today any suggestions on which one? Also, any opinion on a salt bath? Or any idea on the eating issue?
I would suggest API master test kit, it's super easy and reliable. You could try soaking some nightcrawlers in garlic, I've heard of that helping or maybe try a different brand of pallets. I had a similar eating issue and after a few days of leaving nightcrawlers in the tub overnight he took them. Salt baths tend to do more harm than good for such a delicate species like axolotls, it really isn't worth it at all. Black tea baths are a better anti-fungal option.

Darlalowe

Reaction score
I would suggest API master test kit, it's super easy and reliable. You could try soaking some nightcrawlers in garlic, I've heard of that helping or maybe try a different brand of pallets. I had a similar eating issue and after a few days of leaving nightcrawlers in the tub overnight he took them. Salt baths tend to do more harm than good for such a delicate species like axolotls, it really isn't worth it at all. Black tea baths are a better anti-fungal option.
Awesome thanks! I have that test kit now and bought some black tea, with the only ingredient being decaffinated black tea so I will try that tomorrow, she seems to be improving!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!