Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Infertile Pleurodeles waltl eggs clogging everything!

kewzoo

Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 female ribbed newts and almost every time I do a water change, they lay a ton of eggs. I try not to flood them, to set this off, but it happens anyway. Why is this a problem? Well, how do I clean up all this gooey stuff? If I leave it alone, the eggs get moldy after a while. Before that, they get strands of the goo in their mouths when trying to eat. I can't siphon it--it's too gooey. I have to take all the plants out and try to hand-strip them and then put them under running water. Does any one have recommendations--either for preventing the laying or for cleaning up? Help please, thanks, Katharine
VW8vig7ZRGqL81pTjb%aeA.jpg

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They're definitely infertile? They don't usually lay a full clutch of duds.

kewzoo

Reaction score
Well, I've never seen any mating behavior and when I've left the eggs alone they've started to get moldy. I took some eggs out and put them in a separate tank and they went moldy too. Do they ever lay fertile eggs mixed with duds that mold? If that's true I'll try setting some aside again.

Viking

Reaction score
Are they all female? My experience is most eggs are good but they need at least one male. I would suggest putting plastic plants or yarn spawn mops so you can remove easy. Have another set plants to switch out. The eggs in large numbers can foul water. Figure out a way to not work too hard cleaning off plants. Maybe cut back on feeding slightly (nothing extreme) so they do not fill up eggs so often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!