Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured Salamander

mavors

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice and information.

I was working at a campsite and found a tiger salamander that had been stepped on. I suspect her/his most serious injury is that of its' legs. It CAN move them and has, but it usually just crawls with its front legs and drags the back ones. Initially, it did not move much unless prompted, but now it is becoming a bit more active at night as in the morning I will find it in a different location.

My hopes were that I would monitor it in a safe space where it would not get picked off by predators and then release it back at it's home when it was ready. However, I know that tiger salamanders like to dig and I am worried that if it does not regain full use of its back legs that it will not be able to dig or catch prey efficiently. Does anyone have a guess at how long it may take for it to recover or if you think it will recover at all? And if it does not recover, has anyone gone through the process of getting a permit to hold onto wildlife? How was that experience? My other thought is that I can take it to an animal rehabilitation center, but I believe the closest one is a 6 hour drive away, and my goal is for it to be release back in the wild where I found it.

A more urgent concern of mine is that it has not eaten yet and I have not noticed any poop. I have had it for 6 days now. I would think that after the trauma it has endured it may not want to eat. How long will a tiger salamander go without eating/when should I start getting worried? And does anyone have any advice on how to entice it to eat? I have tried earthworms and larvae things from the area I found the salamander, and crickets from the pet store. I will try mealworms tonight. It is a small salamander, only about 10 cm long, so bigger prey items will not work for him as her could choke.

I have many more questions, but with the length of this post in mind I will stop for now. I appreciate any advice and value the opinions of those of you more experienced with amphibian care.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a tough one. I'd just take it as a pet if I were in your situation, and see how it does. You can put it in a tank with a lot of digging substrate and see if it is able to again in time. Feed it pieces of night crawler and see it if eats/ poops. I
don't know if you have the ability to take it to the vet if you really wanted to. I had a newt that had a squashed head, it recovered except for one eye and lived almost another year.

mavors

Reaction score
Wow, that's a tough one. I'd just take it as a pet if I were in your situation, and see how it does. You can put it in a tank with a lot of digging substrate and see if it is able to again in time. Feed it pieces of night crawler and see it if eats/ poops. I
don't know if you have the ability to take it to the vet if you really wanted to. I had a newt that had a squashed head, it recovered except for one eye and lived almost another year.
Thank you for your reply. I have held onto him so far. I think he is getting stronger because he's burrowing a little and hiding under sticks, but still hasn't eaten. But your injured newt success give me hope, thank you. I will try the night crawlers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1