Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interesting cooling device from china

ntny

Reaction score
hi folks,

I came across this cooling device from china
特价DIY半导体制冷片套件 三核制冷空气降温装置冷却设备制冷空调-淘宝网全球站

I think it is a ice probe type cooler, but with 3 peliter and fans. the price seems cheap too.

I have some aquatic setup (Cynops orientalis) and using a big fan with strong aeration works great cooling down the water.

but for cooling terrestrial setup I have not been successful...
I am wonder if this device and make to "sit" on top the tank to cool down a terrestrial setup?

there is also another version of this device for aquatic setup (requires a water pump).
if anyone is interested.
特价新品XD-2025制冷片模块 半导体降温制冷器 制冷片冷水套件-淘宝网全球站

thanks

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think it is worth a try but wouldn't get my hopes up. Peltier units didn't seem to do to much when I tried the ice probe.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I built something similar for Uroplatus fantasticus about 14 years ago out of Igloo thermoelectric cooler units. 3 units could drop a 65g aquarium down into the 50sF at night, with 1.5" insulation on the bottom and 3 sides.

It was functional, but had plenty of limitations, like the need for as much insulation as possible, limiting external air exchange to allow it to recycle the cooled air inside, and vulnerability to failure with loss of power or any other malfunction.

I still use one of the intact Igloo coolers (with an added proportional temp control) for transporting amphibians from field sites or extended trips, and I think this is a more appropriate use for the technology.

-Tim

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

thanks for advice. how do you cool down your terrestrial setup during a summer?

I have been using a combination of 2 methods currently to cool down my aquatic setup (Cynops orientalis).

1) Use Air bubble corner filter instead of a motor driven filter to eliminate heat. turn on the airpump as strong as possible. the strong air will aerate water with a lot of oxygen. this alone can cool down the tank by 1-2 Celsius.
2) Combine with strong aeration, use a Big fan, at least 12cm big. and blow across the water surface. this will cool down a further 2-3 Celsius. but evaporation will be fast. need to top up water very often.

as for a terrestrial setup, since there is lesser water area. I don't think this combination will work.

thanks

manderkeeper

Reaction score
If you use a basement, especially one without windows, that helps alot probably keep it down to 75F. Then I use an air conditioner on top of that and one of the old metal box style fridges for anyone really heat sensitive hooked to a ranco tstat. All of that is still vulnerable to power loss in the summer tho all are somewhat insulated so you have a little time in case of power loss. I also have lots of styro boxes and ice if there were a major emergency.. but we hardly ever have summer power outages here.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I have a tin/aluminum lid i dont now what it is i made it . I keep the house at 70f in winter and my tank is never over 66f that is as low as my thermostat reads. Unles i take the lid off.hope this helps a little.

Rupert

Reaction score
I second Michael.

Peltier devices are great on paper but often do not meet the expectations.

Although expensive, a trustworthy chiller is always worth they money.

In my hobbyist group in Korea we use DAEIL brand chilllers which have proven their worth - it can drop aquarium water temperature down to high 60s(21 celcius) when its 80s(28 celcius) in the room!

ntny

Reaction score
hi Rupert,

thanks for advice.
yes a good chiller can cool down a aquatic tank. but i have problems cooling down a land based terrestrial setup. which only has about 4 inches of water.
and with only 4 inches of water i have to run a water pump to the chiller. the pump emits heats on such a small volume of water.
anyone has a better design or equipment for cooling down a terrestrial setup?
thanks

I second Michael.

Peltier devices are great on paper but often do not meet the expectations.

Although expensive, a trustworthy chiller is always worth they money.

In my hobbyist group in Korea we use DAEIL brand chilllers which have proven their worth - it can drop aquarium water temperature down to high 60s(21 celcius) when its 80s(28 celcius) in the room!

Rupert

Reaction score
Can't really think of a good cooling option for terrestrial setups other than air conditioners.

Fans will quickly dry out the setup...

In case of temperature-sensitive caudates like salamandra, I advise my friends to buy used fridges and hibernate them.

One blogger actually bought a wine cooler for salamandra for heat waves... sounds great but expensive :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1