Internal Filters?

W

wibble

I have read on another site that Axolotls can get their gills sucked into internal filters. The same website recommended piling rocks around it to keep the Axolotls away from it, so i have followed these instructions but i feel that the rocks are restricting the filtration. Is this true? or should i just uncover my filter or perhaps change to an external one?

I think it might be dependant on whether it has a strong flow into and from it. We have internals, and I sometimes spend ages watching our axies and have yet to see any of their gills being sucked into the filter.

(Message edited by kapo on September 05, 2006)

I agree.
I use an Interpet Power Filter 2, and have never had any problems.

It also has a full range of media, and Venturi system, which I angle down the back wall.

Not had any stress with the flow, or oxygen levels since - these are good filters IME.

I use a weirpro Internal filter and have had no problems, my axolotls love to sit underneath it, and no gill/oxygen/flow problems have occured.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back