Introducing 32 New Baby Axolotls To The World <3

iSuzie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Suzi
32 adorable brand new hatched baby's
almost half are Leucistic some look as tho they will become golden Leucistic, and about half Wild Type, or Melanoid, i'm not sure how Melanoid larva start out like, i know dark spotted ones are usually Wild Type but they could be Melanoid right? or because they have pattern/shiny bits does that make them all wild type? lol

any ways i have no camera just my phone, so i took some pics the best i could... and here they are :D i'm so excited and the baby's are going really good
{been watching them for hours}
they occasionally swim around, bump into each other and cause a domino effect tho out the container! lol

I have noticed the love the air stone.. i have a very weak flow air stone, with a tiny amount of bubbles into their container and they all pile around it, under one side of it, a few times the containers been bumped/moved and they have all swam around and away but they seem to keep going back to it!! sooo cute hehe so here's the first pic's of the new baby's :D

Attachments

• babys.jpg
    babys.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,742
  • babys 2.jpg
    babys 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,405
  • babys 3.jpg
    babys 3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7,549
Took some better pictures of the new baby's :D

Attachments

• ..babys.jpg
    ..babys.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 369
  • .. babys 2.jpg
    .. babys 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 734
  • ..babys 3.jpg
    ..babys 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 328
  • ..babys 4.jpg
    ..babys 4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 365
  • ..babys 5.jpg
    ..babys 5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 346
How easy was it to get this far with them?

From what I understand non-melanoids have a shiny ring around the pupil of the eye while wild types do not. Mine was described to me as melenoid but saw it wasn't when I went to buy him. Still happy with the little guy but would love a melenoid.

Pretty easy, they are so small the hard parts haven't come yet, they still not eating because they are still full from their egg's.

They are so tiny to look around there eyes is a bit hard at the moment, but when they get a little bigger i will be able to tell hopefully. :D

How easy was it to get this far with them?

From what I understand non-melanoids have a shiny ring around the pupil of the eye while wild types do not. Mine was described to me as melenoid but saw it wasn't when I went to buy him. Still happy with the little guy but would love a melenoid.
You have it a little twisted there.. you are right that non-melanoids (ie. wild types) have a shiny ring around the eye.. but then you say that wild types do not (but they do).. think you just got your words a little twisted lol. :)

Congrats on the babies suzie! They are adorable! :)

Thanks Aimz
I really cant get a good picture of them, my phone really does take the worst pictures and its a pink phone, and the pink reflection you can see in the photos! :rofl:

Ahhh, they're so sweet! It's amazing how they already have unique little faces despite being so tiny! I hope they all grow up big and strong :D

Thank you and yes it really is so amazing to watch them grow each day you can notice something new.
The amazement has captivated me I'm so in love with these tiny little baby's :D

We have more baby's hatching!!
They were due to hatch tomorrow night, but as expected we have had 6 hatch in the last 2 hours. :D

I couldn't be happier! I'm So Excited!

Only about 82 to go! :rofl:

Hey there,

Just wondering how your babies are going? Any more pics at 2-3 weeks old?

And what I really want to know is what are you going to do with so many? Can you really expect to re-home them? I'm gonna have the same dilemma on my hands soon, so I'm trying to think ahead :happy:

They are going great!!
The first lot to hatch are about 3 weeks old and have got front legs and are growing fingers!
I have already got home for all 30 of them from face book, the best advertisement is local pet groups like "vic buy swap and sell pets and accessory's" or your local area's aquarium buy swap or sell group. I have joined 4 groups and have found homes for 40 baby's already in 3 days! I have already pre arranged homes for the entire first batch and some of the second! Ill be adding another post when the second batch get bigger. So in 2 weeks time my entire first batch will be re homed! I'm excited and sad at the same time. I really love these little guys!
So many people want them i had to make my own group on face book to keep everyone all together and organise pick ups and drop off's. So my advice to you is look up local buy swap and sell pages and advertise as much as you can... And that's just face book.. I haven't even started on here or gumtree or local supermarket post boards! I have also pre arranged 2 pet shops that i know and trust to take a few when they get bigger. My mum has family friends that own pet shops thanks to her 30 odd years of owning all sorts of crazy snakes! haha

AND also i have written a care sheet for new axoltol owners and a separate site for the baby's with a more detailed how to care for larvae care sheet, along with explaining to each person who is getting a baby all about them haha! This way you can make sure they are educated the right way!

I have re homed all of my baby's :D 150 of them have gone to their new homes! :D

I have re homed all of my baby's :D 150 of them have gone to their new homes! :D
How did you manage to do so well? I'm having a crisis with mine and I just can't figure it out - I've gone from having 180 really strong and happy larvae 2 weeks ago to about 80 starving due to a crash in my food source and now that they're eating BBS I've gone from 65 to 14 overnight! I just don't know what to do anymore :(. I spent hours on them yesterday separating them into ice cube trays to feed them individually, and most of them seemed to eat (there was some orange in their bellies, although most were not full even after 1.5 hrs).

They get full daily water changes, no air stone (I removed it a week ago), and I am carefully removing any unhatched eggs/shells (a real pain in the neck). Feeding 2x per day. Temp at 18-19. What is wrong?!

I don't want to lose my last few!!! Suzie help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back