Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing a new Axolotl

BoristheAxolotl

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of buying a female to introduce to my 4 year old male axolotl. Will I find any problems? One breeder told me my male axolotl will force her to breed and then kill her. Is this true? I am hoping they will breed but is this going to happen? I am upgrading my axolotl's tank so it will be a new environment for both of them. Thanks

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of buying a female to introduce to my 4 year old male axolotl. Will I find any problems? One breeder told me my male axolotl will force her to breed and then kill her. Is this true? I am hoping they will breed but is this going to happen? I am upgrading my axolotl's tank so it will be a new environment for both of them. Thanks
I would recommend keeping them in separate tanks until/if you want breeding. For one thing, one or the other (or maybe both) may be aggressive towards the other. It's somewhat unlikely, but I personally will never put another axolotl in the same tank as my male except for breeding--it's not because he's aggressive, but rather that he thinks anything that moves is food and tries to eat it, lol. Again, it's highly unlikely that they would try to eat each other unless there's a significant size difference or one is aggressive/not very smart.

In the long term, you probably won't want to keep them together anyway since it means you will almost definitely have "surprise" batches of eggs, and breeding (or attempts at breeding) is really hard on both axolotls, especially the female. If they are kept together, she especially will likely develop a weakened immune system and a general health decline.

I would suggest doing lots of research into the whole breeding process (from getting them to mate, and then egg, hatchling, and juvenile care, to rehoming the babies) and make sure you have a definite plan before making any big decisions.

JM29

Reaction score
Just to complete :
The day before introducing them, well feed them. It will lower agressiveness.
During the week after, give them non-live food (frozen food or pellets) : they'll have to learn distinguish food and axolotl's legs.
After that, switch to live food.

BoristheAxolotl

Reaction score
Ok good to know. I always use non living food anyway (a mix of water pellets, frozen blood worms and crushed crickets or superworms). How will keeping them together cause a health decline in the female?

If I do end up putting them in the same tank, what are some things I can do to minimise negative interactions and/or health declines?

JM29

Reaction score
Keeping them together won't cause a health decline in the female
(except if the male is agressive and bites her ; I once had the case with a big-headed cannibalistic male)

JM29

Reaction score
Ok. But you're still saying I shouldn't out them in the same tank right?
No, I don't say that.
AMurry told that, perhaps because he has different experience.

You can put them in the same tank, but :
- you can consider put them together if they are approximately the same size,
- within a few hours or days after, chek if there is no aggressiveness between them (there is no rule, observation is the key)

I keep males and females together year around and nothing bad happens.
They usually breed only at the end of winter (Breeding is triggered by a massive water change).

xxianxx

Reaction score
"In the long term, you probably won't want to keep them together anyway since it means you will almost definitely have "surprise" batches of eggs, and breeding (or attempts at breeding) is really hard on both axolotls, especially the female. If they are kept together, she especially will likely develop a weakened immune system and a general health decline.

I would suggest doing lots of research into the whole breeding process (from getting them to mate, and then egg, hatchling, and juvenile care, to rehoming the babies) and make sure you have a definite plan before making any big decisions"

This is the same bs i see in moronic fb groups. Its utter nonsense, axolotl do not kill themselves with over breeding nor do males and females need to be kept seperate. Its highly unusual for females to lay to an extent that it could damage their health. Take your own advice and do your research in places other than fb and you may stop peddling this crap.
To answer the ops question, axolotl arnt territorial , as long as they are the same size they should be ok, just put the new one in the tank and keep them well fed.

Last edited:

AMurry24537

Reaction score
"In the long term, you probably won't want to keep them together anyway since it means you will almost definitely have "surprise" batches of eggs, and breeding (or attempts at breeding) is really hard on both axolotls, especially the female. If they are kept together, she especially will likely develop a weakened immune system and a general health decline.

I would suggest doing lots of research into the whole breeding process (from getting them to mate, and then egg, hatchling, and juvenile care, to rehoming the babies) and make sure you have a definite plan before making any big decisions"

This is the same bs i see in moronic fb groups. Its utter nonsense, axolotl do not kill themselves with over breeding nor do males and females need to be kept seperate. Its highly unusual for females to lay to an extent that it could damage their health. Take your own advice and do your research in places other than fb and you may stop peddling this crap.
To answer the ops question, axolotl arnt territorial , as long as they are the same size they should be ok, just put the new one in the tank and keep them well fed.
No need to be so aggressive, dude, chill. Not that it matters, but I don't even use Facebook. I didn't say that they "need" to be kept separately, but rather that this option less likely to lead to unwelcome surprises, such as accidentally bitten limbs or extra batches of eggs. It happens sometimes. If OP is good with that, whatever, end of story. My advice to do research was so that the person could develop a specific plan for every part of the process of raising axolotls and not run into anything unexpected.

Pregnancy and egg-bearing has been proven to take a toll on the body. This is not a disputed fact. While the health issues that may arise from breeding every single season may not be life-threatening or even injurious whatsoever, it's still safer to give some downtime. Again, I never said that it had to be done that way. I'm just laying out some options that are more on the cautious side. If you don't like it, fine, disagree. That's what this place is for. You don't have to be an ass about it though.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
So you've said. Frankly, I still stand by my advice to be on the safe side rather than not, and to do their own research and develop a plan according to whatever they think is best for their own animals. That doesn't sound like nonsense to me, but to each their own. Have a nice day.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Less than a year ago you were asking people to sex a blatantly male axolotl. I suggest you keep learning and researching rather than giving incorrect advice.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I was asking for advice because during that particular interval, the appearance of his cloaca changed significantly. I was asking for advice, which is what this website is for, because I had reason to question it. I have indeed continued to learn more and do my research as you "suggest," so thanks, I guess? Incidentally, what I have learned supports what I already know through common sense and knowledge of basic biology. Even though the body is designed to reproduce, it still takes a physical toll, as I've been saying all along. And sometimes accidental nibbles happen, as I've had repeated experience witnessing in both my own animals and others. That being said, because there is still somehow disagreement on this thread over that, I again urge OP to do their own research. Now if you don't mind (that's just a phrase; I don't really care either way tbh), I don't really feel like participating in a pointless argument that has apparently now devolved into looking up completely unrelated threads? Classy. 🙂

waterandgills

Reaction score
Observation is key. Each axolotl has their own personality, some get along, some might not. Just like people lol
As far as after any breeding that might take place I don't have much experience, but after my female laid (surprise) eggs I put the male in a new tank and my female seemed much happier. It is good for her to recover from the toll birthing takes on body, same as previous poster had mentioned.

Wyn1993

Reaction score
I did a lot of research into something similar - although wasn't aware my second was female and now have eggs.
In my research I have always found/ been advised to provide hiding spaces, a big enough tank so they can have space and feed well.
I've never had an issue of aggression with mine - until they are getting live river shrimp and a both right next to it but one or the other swims away.
In relation to breeding - I have read that breeding takes its toll particularly on the female because during this process her main priority is laying eggs - I have read this can cause stress etc.
My female has just laid eggs and sadly I do not have a spare tank - so I am 'making a divider' to give her a break and a chance to recharge her batteries to prevent any further breeding attempts. This will not be indefinite but I do not want continuous breeding attempts as I have read that this can happen - so a precaution really.

It is just about observation - keep an eye and see how it goes.

Hope this helps!

rsjour4079

Reaction score
I moved my 1.5 year old female in with my 6 month old male and female axie. Unfortunately, they immediately produced eggs. They're in a 75 gallon tank with sand and lots of plants and hiding areas. They're all eating, not fighting, and doing great. I think you'll be okay as long as you provide a good environment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!