Introducing a second Axolotl

aristotle1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, i have an Axolotl by the name of Ari. Ari has been in my care for three months now and all has been well. I was contacted by a fish shop today and they said new stock of axolotls came in and i am very interested in getting a friend for Ari. However i am not sure if i will need to seperate them as i was told that Ari was 8 months when i purchased him (the seller may have meant weeks) and he is roughly 14 CM long. He fits comfortably in his tank but i know for sure that i will need a bigger one to house more axolotls unless they cannot live together due to size. All i have been told about the size of the new one is that they are 'babies'. What would be the minimum necessary size/capacity of the tank for two+ axolotls? and will the new axolotl need to be quarantined? If so, for how long? I would love to have a little friend for Ari. Thankyou :)

Personally I'd take at least a 20 gallon tank for two grown axolotls. I'd also recommend you to buy a tank divider (or make one). That way you can separate them if their lengths are too different.

Keeping a new pet quarantined before introducing them into an existing tank is probably advised, however I never had the room to do this so I always skipped this part...

I have a 20 long and I wouldn't put 2 axies in it. Way too small, especially for adults, (which you will eventually have if you get a second.) I wouldn't go any smaller than a 30 long and also make sure there is double filtration, even if it's just one axie, since they are super messy. I HAVE an Aqua Clear 70 on my 20g tank. It's rated for a 70 gallon tank. (My AC 50 was slowing down and the ammonia was creeping up, so I went with a bigger filter.)

I wouldn't get him a friend wither unless it is the same size as he is. If it's smaller, he will eat it,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back