Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing Treasure, Pirate and Coconut

iSuzie

Reaction score
So I have recently put my 3 golden albino baby's {5cm} in a 2ft tank set up just for them with nice rocks with hiding places and lots of room.
They are now on a new diet of tiny earthworms cut into pieces and they absolutely love it! They have been loving the last few days! So i made a little video of treasure exploring the tank :D

Golden Albino Baby Axolotls - Size Only 5cm - YouTube

Jake

Reaction score
That's a nice setup, and Pirate is a good name for an axolotl ;)

iSuzie

Reaction score
They will stay in there until they are bigger then will be put in a 3ft tank.
Lucky I have so many tanks!
My electricity bill has sky rocketed recently due to all the filtration systems running in my house! I never knew how expensive they were to run i just thought they would be equal to something basic. But according to the electricity chick on the phone they use a lot of electricity than almost anything found in a normal household!
Oh well I love my axolotls so i guess the raise in cost can be endured! lol :D

blinky000

Reaction score
Eeee they're so tiny! I bet they're loving all that room. Thanks for sharing, they're adorable!

emz

Reaction score
They are some sweet little ones! Great names i especially like the name coconut!

iSuzie

Reaction score
Thanks!! And yeah I love the names too!! Treasure is my favourite one out of the 3 because he/she is the most active, takes the little worm pieces so well and follows your finger along the tank! he/she is 5cm and so is coconut lol coconut has the longest gills out of all 3 of them and really is a cutie and pirate has had one leg bitten off so that's where he got his name from lol! Although its almost grown back! but he is also the smallest and is only 4cm

I cant wait for my other baby's to be this size! I have found 150 homes for them and im keeping 30 by choice to raise to a bigger size xD
I think I'll raise them to about 5-8cm and then privately sell them or give them to my local pet shop. The owner there has never had axolotls and I have had a convo with her yesterday asking if she would like to sell some and seems how she said she would care for them exactly the way I tell her I am seriously considering giving her some when they are bigger!

lea

Reaction score
They are great names. Love their cute little faces

iSuzie

Reaction score
Thanks! Oh and Rachel They are the baby's I got from Aimee so they are the baby's of your axies! I'm interested in what the parents were? And any other info you can give me on their genetics so I know for when it comes to breeding later on in their lives :D

And one more thing about their names lol coconut was named by my 2 year old :D They are all pirate themed and coconut is a song that cartoon pirates sing on Disney channel that my 2 year old daughter loves to sing so that's the reason behind coconut! lmao

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1