Invertebrate (in CC amphib glossary)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Invertebrate: An animal which lacks a backbone (such as insects, spiders, worms, etc.). For amphibians, these are a naturally occurring food source.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
For the shake of exactitude, wouldn´t it be better perhaps to say "Any animal that lacks an squeletal structure or a notochord in all stages of it´s life. This includes all animals outside the phylum Chordata (such as insects, worms, arachnids, crustaceans...)"
Maybe a bit technical but definitely more exact, right?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
For the shake of exactitude, wouldn´t it be better perhaps to say "Any animal that lacks an squeletal structure or a notochord in all stages of it´s life. This includes all animals outside the phylum Chordata (such as insects, worms, arachnids, crustaceans...)"
Maybe a bit technical but definitely more exact, right?

Ugggh...but there are invertebrate chordates.
I would be more inclined to perhaps change the definition to:

Invertebrate: An animal which lacks an internal skeleton. Invertebrates either have an exoskeleton (e.g., insects and spiders) or no skeleton (e.g., worms). For amphibians, invertebrates are a naturally occurring food source and comprise much of their diet.

What do you think?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Ugggh...but there are invertebrate chordates.

Yes, there are, but they are not considered invertebrates, at least not from a taxonomic point of view.
I was aiming for a scientifically accurate version, more than an easy explanation for the general public, but perhaps that´s a mistake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axiegel & Edgar:
    i need help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    With?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    @Axiegwhats el & Edgar,
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    What is wrong?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if I possibly crashed my tanks cycle? I’ve had a cycling tank for months now, changing 25% water weekly. I never had any problem until a few days ago when I did a 50% water change. I did this because the tank was looking extra dirty for some reason and also I siphoned too much water out trying to vacuum the sand. I noticed since that water change, my axolotl has been hiding more, barely eating, and only moving from time to time. I checked the water perimeters and they are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I normally have 0 ammonia, I haven’t had above 0 since I was first cycling the tank. Did I make an error or is this just a fluke? What should I do?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Im worried about my lil girl, she’s normally fairly active and a pig when it comes to food. Should I tub her until I figure out the tank situation? Am I overreacting lol?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Also, she is about a year old. Her tail is perfectly straight and her gills are perky (not curled forward). She’s looking perfectly fine, just acting weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Sorry one more thing, when I changed the water last I removed a few plastic plants that I realized were taking up too much room. Would the removal of the bacteria on the plants mess it up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Maybe, I’m not to sure. I’ve done lots of research when i got my baby axolot. Maybe she is just adjusting to the new tank?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    mavrixwk has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Robpod86:
    What can I do to help my tiger that is bloated. Been bloated for 2 months. Ty
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Tiger..?
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    Tiger = Tiger Salamandrr its tiring to type the whole thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh ok, I dont know anything about those, I’m an axolotl owner sorry
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Urgent: My nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have no idea why and I’m freaking out. Should I put my axolotl in a tub????
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, I definitely would. And then do a big water change
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Nioa, ok, do you know why it might’ve spiked? I just did a water change a few days ago and tested all the perimeters and it was at 10 nitrate
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    i have never had nitrates so high
    +1
    Unlike
    Toothpickthelotl: i have never had nitrates so high +1