Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is baking soda in tank a good idea?

annz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m currently towards the end of cycling my tank and due to having lots of driftwood in there the ph has gone down to 6. I’ve ordered some coral bone in order to balance it out but in the meantime I read that using household baking soda can help? has anyone tried it? Is it safe ?
Fyi I’m doing a fishless cycle so no inhabitants at the moment.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m currently towards the end of cycling my tank and due to having lots of driftwood in there the ph has gone down to 6. I’ve ordered some coral bone in order to balance it out but in the meantime I read that using household baking soda can help? has anyone tried it? Is it safe ?
Hmmm I don’t know. I’ve heard of people doing it for fish, not axolotls?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
In small amounts its fine.

Cycling really messes up your pH. At the end of cycling I recommend doing 50% water changes for about 3 days in a row until you get your tank pH closer to your tap pH. But yes the Coral will help.

Hi all,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!