Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is It Morphing Or what?!

A

amazon

I have 7 Eastern Red Spotted Newt Efts. I leave them alone most of the time, but I check up on them every once in a while to make sure they are healthy and have a bit of a curve to their stomachs to make sure they are eating. Last time I checked up on them, I noticed that one was a LOT darker than usual, and it looks like it has started morphing. All of them used to be a bright orange, but this one now has a light brown body with an orange stomach, and an appearing black line down it's back. The tail is still normal, and it isn't slimy like aquatic red spotted newts. It lives in a terrestrial terrarium, and I was wondering if I should get ready for a half terrestrial, half aquatic tank, and if it is really starting to morph. All help will be greatly appreciated.

R

rob

If they're turning a brown green they're now entering their adult aquatic phase of life.

Read up on the post response to you of what morphing is again. You've been misusing the term on many other posts.
Thanks.

S

steve

You could go 1/2 land - 1/2 water to be "safe"

Although I have read (and done so) kept Adult "green" versions on terrestial setup for a period of time. This sometimes happens in the wild for parasites/etc... reasons. (as long as they have access to moisture/water.)

steve

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Morphing" may be OK terminology here. (Of course, "morphing" is not an accurate term, it's just a convenient shorthand for "going through metamorphosis".) The change from eft to adult in eastern newts is considered to be a second metamorphosis.

R

rob

Hence why I said in many other posts. This one I agree with you about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1