Question: Is my axolotl an Enigma?

2roxfox

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been breeding axolotls now for over ten years and I have one male axolotl named Eye-Guy who is the male in my main breeding pond. He is called Eye-Guy because even though he started off with the standard two eyes (i bred him so i know he had two good ones once) he had a close shave with a night heron who pecked his eye out.
Eye-Guy has tried so many times to grow a new eye but none of them are any good. As a result he has gimpy useless eyes all over his head now, the best one, the one that was his best effort at growing a new eye is located on his upper lip. It's not a good look but it was a great attempt and Eye-Guy should be proud of himself really, for escaping the evil Night Heron who tried to take his life.
But back to the question. For a long time I have puzzled over his unusual colouring. He is very dark, he looks black but could be a really dark wildtype. The puzzling part is that he has an iridescent gold spot on his head. If I shine the torch on him at night it glows gold. I have not ever seen an axolotl like him I think he may also have some little white spots on him too but he's so hard to locate because he lives in a really big outdoor pond full of plants and hidey holes. He is smart enough to only come out at night so as soon as i see him again I will try to get some photos for the group.
Anyhow, I'm wondering if he could be an Enigma.
Another strange thing that I have not been able to work out was all the different coloured babies that result from him breeding with any colour female. It doesn't matter what the colour of the female might be, the resulting offspring are of every possible colour each time they hatch and I'm not sure if this is normal or some kind of indication he may be an Enigma.
Eye-Guy is a mystery to me but maybe someone on this forum will know more about the Enigmas. I only just found out about them a few days ago - thanks internet!
:happy:

Okay you can't post that description without a picture! I need to see Eye-Guy!
If there's gold specs I'd say wildtype. They can look really dark, my wild went almost completely black at adolescence but you can see the colour come through in the right light. I don't know much about enigmas but a picture will clear it up :)

I have been breeding axolotls now for over ten years and I have one male axolotl named Eye-Guy who is the male in my main breeding pond. He is called Eye-Guy because even though he started off with the standard two eyes (i bred him so i know he had two good ones once) he had a close shave with a night heron who pecked his eye out.
Eye-Guy has tried so many times to grow a new eye but none of them are any good. As a result he has gimpy useless eyes all over his head now, the best one, the one that was his best effort at growing a new eye is located on his upper lip. It's not a good look but it was a great attempt and Eye-Guy should be proud of himself really, for escaping the evil Night Heron who tried to take his life.
But back to the question. For a long time I have puzzled over his unusual colouring. He is very dark, he looks black but could be a really dark wildtype. The puzzling part is that he has an iridescent gold spot on his head. If I shine the torch on him at night it glows gold. I have not ever seen an axolotl like him I think he may also have some little white spots on him too but he's so hard to locate because he lives in a really big outdoor pond full of plants and hidey holes. He is smart enough to only come out at night so as soon as i see him again I will try to get some photos for the group.
Anyhow, I'm wondering if he could be an Enigma.
Another strange thing that I have not been able to work out was all the different coloured babies that result from him breeding with any colour female. It doesn't matter what the colour of the female might be, the resulting offspring are of every possible colour each time they hatch and I'm not sure if this is normal or some kind of indication he may be an Enigma.
Eye-Guy is a mystery to me but maybe someone on this forum will know more about the Enigmas. I only just found out about them a few days ago - thanks internet!
:happy:
i need to see this animal- it sounds fascinating!! bumping this in hopes we get to see the elusive “eye-guy”!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back