Is my Axolotl Obese?

roygoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aloha All,

I am very new to Axolotls and got my first one about a month and a half ago. During that time she has grown rapidly and I am wondering if she is healthy.
1. Her gills seem way bigger then other pics of Axolotls i have seen online
2. Is she obese? She is not very active(never has been) She mostly stays on only one half of the tank and never swims only waddles around occasionally. The only way I can get her to swim up at all is by enticing her with an earthworm.

Right now she is in a 10 gallon planted tank. I am diligent about monitoring water parameters and suck up any poop/ extra food daily. I also do a 10-20% water change daily.

I feed her sinking pellets daily and an earthworm every 2-3 days.

Any thoughts would be greatly appropriated!

Mahalo!
CADD17B3-392A-42AB-9488-51A27EBA8D03.jpeg
F1BEC479-1C7E-4BE0-8060-14674633F00A.jpeg
14AB8A38-CECC-459C-BC96-C228C43B404D.jpeg

Gills are fantastic.

How old is she? Females can be thicker sometimes due to being gravid.

Really not sure. When I got her in May she was about 3” and is now about 6”.
Thats regalur growth, about 1 inch per month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back