• WIN VIP NARBC TICKETS!!! Guest Click here to enter - it's free and easy.

Is my enclosure suitable?

Dips

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

This is my first post on this website. For a few months now, my roommate and I have been setting up a viquarium in a 50 gallon aquarium. Currently, it is about 30% land, 70% water. The current PH is around 7, temperature is right around 72F. There are two filters, and currently there is a current near one side of the water. We also have several fish in the aquarium (guppies, tetras, neons). The water side is nearly a foot deep with rocks protruding, a shale "basking" area, plastic plants (though I'm going to add live), and a few hiding spots. The room is kept around 70 degrees.

My roommate and I are considering making a transition to a newt or salamander. Does anyone have any ideas for suitable species that would find these conditions suitable? Or any tweaks we could make to the tank to make it suitable?

Thanks for all your help.

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Yaxley
You would need to remove the fish of course, for the obvious reason that they cannot coexist without either the salamanders or newt suffering. As for what kind of species would work in this tank? Personally I think it would work wonderfully for eastern spotted newts, marbled newts, specific fire bellies, though, because more of the tank is water you would want something that spends more time in the water than it does on land. Shale? Is it actually shale or is it slate, because shale can leach metals into the water, adversely affecting the health of your pets. Hope this was helpful!

jasper408

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jasper
Considering the temperature is at 72 around autumn, it will most probably rise higher during the summer. The most heat tolerant(Yes, above 70 is actually pretty hot) species is probably C. ensicauda popei, and they happen to appreciate some land, making 70/30 fine.. Some things to note: 1. Strong filtration flow is not appreciated by most species of newt, and the ones that don't mind need even cooler temperatures. Spray bars help with lessen the flow. 2. Fish are not recommended 3. Shale is risky in an aquatic environment.

I can't really zoom into the pic, but other than those three things, it should be fine. (the substrate is sand?)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ditch the tetras Neons are tetras by the way. They are notorious nippers. After all they are just Piranha's little cousins. Then you can dump the heater you won't need that anymore. Any of the Notophthalmus subspecies would be good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MelissaKenyon:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help with our axy, she absolutely loves her food and we've notice tonight after her worms( that she ate in one mouthful) that she ue was struggling to get up to the top for air. She's never done this before, she usually goes up every 5-10 mins or so. She is 6 months old and seems very healthy. Could it be a problem with our water level or water quality or could she just be to full?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: Dustinaguilar has left the room. +1