Is my new axolotl healthy?

Gloriak26

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello guys! So, my axolotl arrived today ( just a few hours ago actually) and as a new mum I’m fretting already :p I just wanted to make sure everything is ok with him/her. I noticed their tail seems cut at some points. Also, I believe these spots all over their body are normal because it’s a golden axolotl? Am I right? Here are some photos for you to see. Thank you for any input! I really hope he/she is ok! Everything is so precious about these little creatures!

Attachments

• 0C90CC67-F98E-4C13-AAE8-3058F7CE4393.jpeg
    0C90CC67-F98E-4C13-AAE8-3058F7CE4393.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 316
  • E06703FC-D8BE-49D2-9658-02FE92072E64.jpeg
    E06703FC-D8BE-49D2-9658-02FE92072E64.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 6981D39C-DCEC-44B9-BA62-A3820EAEA7BA.jpeg
    6981D39C-DCEC-44B9-BA62-A3820EAEA7BA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 119
  • F05CA34D-6147-4F58-A543-907C2709D8E7.jpeg
    F05CA34D-6147-4F58-A543-907C2709D8E7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
Hello guys! So, my axolotl arrived today ( just a few hours ago actually) and as a new mum I’m fretting already :p I just wanted to make sure everything is ok with him/her. I noticed their tail seems cut at some points. Also, I believe these spots all over their body are normal because it’s a golden axolotl? Am I right? Here are some photos for you to see. Thank you for any input! I really hope he/she is ok! Everything is so precious about these little creatures!
Based on body shape, I'd say you have a boy but depending on age, it may be too soon to say for sure. Looks healthy otherwise. That speckling you see are called iridophores and are a normal sparkly characteristic about golden albinos. Since this is your first axie, make sure you are monitoring your water parameters closely. Test your ammonia a couple times a week and your nitrites, nitrates, and pH once a week at least, then perform your partial water changes accordingly. Water quality and proper nutrition will ensure he lives a long happy life. At his size, he should be eating earthworms (european nightcrawlers are best with redwigglers coming in second).

Thank you!! I’ve been studying axolotls for the past two months more than I studied for university 😂 I’ve read countless care guides and watched more YouTube videos than I can count! I have liquid tests for the most important parameters so I’ll be monitoring the tank like a hawk! I know they are sensitive and need pristine water quality and that’s what I plan to achieve! I hope I can take good care of him! 🤞
As for food I got him both live nightcrawlers and pellets (hikari something for carnivores) so there’s variety! 😊

Thank you!! I’ve been studying axolotls for the past two months more than I studied for university 😂 I’ve read countless care guides and watched more YouTube videos than I can count! I have liquid tests for the most important parameters so I’ll be monitoring the tank like a hawk! I know they are sensitive and need pristine water quality and that’s what I plan to achieve! I hope I can take good care of him! 🤞
As for food I got him both live nightcrawlers and pellets (hikari something for carnivores) so there’s variety! 😊
Perfect! sounds like youve done your homework, which is great! please dont ever hesitate to reach out or send me a direct message if you ever have questions or need help with anything.

Based on body shape, I'd say you have a boy but depending on age, it may be too soon to say for sure. Looks healthy otherwise. That speckling you see are called iridophores and are a normal sparkly characteristic about golden albinos. Since this is your first axie, make sure you are monitoring your water parameters closely. Test your ammonia a couple times a week and your nitrites, nitrates, and pH once a week at least, then perform your partial water changes accordingly. Water quality and proper nutrition will ensure he lives a long happy life. At his size, he should be eating earthworms (european nightcrawlers are best with redwigglers coming in second).
Huh, I would have guessed it was a girl actually.

Well, I guess I’m gonna go with two names until that’s settled then 😝

Huh, I would have guessed it was a girl actually.
Looking at body shape is what im basing my guess. its also kind of an odd top angle though. Don't know the age either so that makes a difference. Ive had some I would have sworn were girls and then the next day, total opposite

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back