Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my tank too small for one axolotl?

justsomegoober

Reaction score
So I just bought a 20 gallon tank because I was thinking of getting an axolotl. I posted about it on reddit and one user said it wasn't enough because the minimum is a 40 gallon breeder. I was confused because I have been looking online for a while now and it seems that the minimum for one axolotl is 20 gallons. So I was wondering if my tank really isn't big enough for one axolotl. The dimensions are 24 1/4"L x 12 9/16"W x16 11/16"H
tempImageqKDlyj.jpg

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So I just bought a 20 gallon tank because I was thinking of getting an axolotl. I posted about it on reddit and one user said it wasn't enough because the minimum is a 40 gallon breeder. I was confused because I have been looking online for a while now and it seems that the minimum for one axolotl is 20 gallons. So I was wondering if my tank really isn't big enough for one axolotl. The dimensions are 24 1/4"L x 12 9/16"W x16 11/16"HView attachment 94265
20 gallon longs are best, but 20 gallons are 20 gallons. that redditor steered you wrong, a 20 gal is just fine for a singular axolotl

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Reddit recommends 29g minimum. Caudata recommends 20g minimum. You may find yourself needing to clean the tank more but it is suitable as long as attention to length is considered first and foremost.

wolfen

Reaction score
originally (quite few years ago) the tank size for an axolotl was 10 gallon, now it is widely accepted as 20 gallon.

DogLady0142

Reaction score
A 20 for one is fine, keep up on the poop. A bigger tank is harder to feed the babies. They get really interactive with you. Swim to the top asking for worms. The bigger tank you will loose that interaction a bit in my experience. My young ones are in a tub or in a 20g. Big guys are in a 70, which I'm now thinking of down sizing because I miss the interaction, they don't come up to say hi as much., Plus there's more lid coverage. I also find it's harder to keep up on the 💩. They do come to the side of the glass to say hi, but it's just not the same.

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
Axolotls are bottom dwelling animals, so surface is somewhat more important than volume.
0,1 square meter by adult can be considered as a minimum surface. Of course, more is better.

Other factors are :
- Temperature : a warm water will become dirty faster. A small tank will be more difficult to equilibrate by high temperatures.
- Plants : a lot of fast-growing plants contribute to the welfare of aquatic animals. The smaller the tank, the more densely planted it should be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!