Is spagnum moss ok if tested ?

Springlizard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Springlizard
I really like how moss looks in the tank. I wouldn't be using a ton ( not the main substrate ) . Just a decoration and to help keep in most hire on top. If I soak it overnight and test the PH can I assume it's safe ? Or do you think it's not worth the risk

I'm not sure, you can't really take the PH off of sphagnum moss to my knowledge, I'd better be safe than sorry

I'd agree with Xavier, its better to be safe than sorry. If you look at my old tank set-up pictures, when I first started off, I used New Zealand sphagnum moss because the packaging included it could be used for salamanders. But when I joined this community I learned about the acidity in it, so I just used coco fiber/ soil mix instead. On top of it being safe for them, they liked it way better that way as well since one is a digger and the other one is a explorer and enjoys walking around- there are tail drag marks all over!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back