Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this Fungus or Shedding Slime Coat?... I'm really nervous...

Chris. C

Reaction score
I recently moved my axine into a 30 gallon tank. For the first couple days he was doing fine. I used the filter I had on the old tank witch still has the old cycled media. I also added a Sponge Filter and added more filter media into his old filter. I change his sand and added some new decorations thats were cleaned. Some ceramics and some drift wood. There are also two live Java Ferns which he's had for a while that have never caused any issues. His water tempreture is about 68 degrees which is admittedly kind of high but I do have two fans attached to the tank to cool the water down more. I do believe that my Nitrogen cycle may have crashed because the Nitrate reading is zero. Nitrite is also zero, Ph 6.0, Carbonate Hardness 0, General Hardness also 0. I recently moved and there's a different water company here so the water is much softer here than it is at my old home. He was behaving completely normal. He was eating fine and swimming around exploring his new home being pretty active as usual. I noticed that there was some white clumps on his skin but at first I just though it was just sand getting stuck to him because I changed his sand from a corse grade of black sand to a very fine white/pink sand and the water wasn't 100 percent clear when he went in his tank, it was still kind a sand. Well today the water is completely clear and I saw that he still had these white clumps on his skin. I've never had a fungus issue and I've had him for about 2 years now. So went to get a closer look to see exactly what the white clumps were on his skin and it doesn't look like sand at all. They aren't fuzzy or cotton looking like the usual gill fungus I've seen. The clumps look more chunky and slimy. His gill filaments have all just completely disappeared. I tried feeding him and usually he eats 2 earthworms. He ate one. So being concerned I took him out of the tank and while just earlier today he was still being his regular self but when I went to scoop him out of the tank usually he puts up a fight and is super slippery to catch but he kinda just floated into the bucket. For the most part he is still crawling around in his bucket but he is cover in this white chunky stuff and I'm not sure if its a fungus or if its just slime coat peeling. This is my first time having any kind of major health problems with him and I'm really scared because I don't wanna lose my buddy but I don't know what to do. Can someone please tell me what these white clumps are on his skin. They aren't really on his gills more so on the skin.View attachment 87247View attachment 87248

Murk

Reaction score
I'll reply to the other thread :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!