Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this fungus?

LeighLarsen

Reaction score
I have had Gary for only a couple months. A couple weeks after I got him I noticed a couple white spots on the gills. I read up but wasn't sure if the spots looked "fluffy" or not as described. After more spots showed up, I became very concerned and have done 3 days of salt baths. After the last salt bath this morning, he threw up his food. Otherwise he seems healthy and happy. He is very active and eats well. I had my water tested and it all good. I have no gravel, only sand. Temp of water is consistently 66 and I have a sponge filter. I do have him in my classroom and I realized that when the door slams he gets very startled and was probably stressing him out. I have made sure the door won't be slammed any more. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    964.2 KB · Views: 76

EllieWind

Reaction score
Not fungus. :) Those white flecks and patches are iridiphores (shiny pigment) that's part of natural axolotl colors.

LeighLarsen

Reaction score
Not fungus. :) Those white flecks and patches are iridiphores (shiny pigment) that's part of natural axolotl colors.
Are you SURE? I am a nervous new mommy. Here is a picture I took today and I see how the skin on the gills looks like iridiphores but what about the white specks on the filaments? I can't find any fungus pictures that look like this. Could it be a bacteria? They haven't changed much in two months.

Attachments

• Gary.jpg
    Gary.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

EllieWind

Reaction score
Are you SURE? I am a nervous new mommy. Here is a picture I took today and I see how the skin on the gills looks like iridiphores but what about the white specks on the filaments? I can't find any fungus pictures that look like this. Could it be a bacteria? They haven't changed much in two months.
I'm sure. :) My golden girl also has iridiphores on her gill filaments. It worried me too for a while after I fist got her, but it's definitely not fungus.
If it looks raised or cottony you'd have reason to worry, but it definitely looks like iridiphores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!