Is this tank size okay?

Rileymm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently cycling a tank and just wanted to make sure the size was okay. I bought it on Craigslist and was told it was a 45 gallon. I measured it and the dimensions were 30L by 12W by 18 1/2H. I looked up dimensions of a 45 gallon and they didn’t match so I just wanted to make sure the tank is an okay size. I planned on getting one axolotl and a second in the future but if it only fits one I won’t get a second. Thanks :)
4D55E79F-FB46-4439-8AEC-C9B8A800F12C.jpeg

The minimum often quoted is 20 gallon for an axolotl, and an additional 10 gallon for each additional axolotl.
Your tank is almost 30 gallon, so technically it would be OK for two axolotls (but only just).

In practice, most of that volume is in height - if you take a second axolotl, try to use the height: if you add something of a hammock, a hardscape background, or tall plants - basically anything they can rest on when higher in the water column - you open up much more space for them to use.
A second floor, so to say.

The minimum often quoted is 20 gallon for an axolotl, and an additional 10 gallon for each additional axolotl.
Your tank is almost 30 gallon, so technically it would be OK for two axolotls (but only just).

In practice, most of that volume is in height - if you take a second axolotl, try to use the height: if you add something of a hammock, a hardscape background, or tall plants - basically anything they can rest on when higher in the water column - you open up much more space for them to use.
A second floor, so to say.
Thank you so much for your advice! I’ll definitely do something like that if I end up getting a second. Thanks!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back