I've got a mutant!

B

brian

I just noticed today that my Melanoid axolotl has an extra leg! His front left leg (one of the ones that was missing when I got him) has grown an extra lower leg from the elbow. I know this happens all the time, nut here's the strange bit: on Friday, before I left for the weekend, he had a normal leg. I noticed ther extra leg today. There was no wounding involved, because the leg had already completely regenerated a few weeks back. Anyone ever heard of spontaneous growth of extra limbs before?

P.S. - I've named him Zaphod. Hehe!

With axies, anythings possible. I have an axy with a broken leg who now has a little growth in the opposite direction of the break - he has a two pronged leg, or will have i suppose.

My axie has a foot coming out of his right front elbow lol. And he has his normal foot too lol, he is young and has had no injuries I know of and looks perfectly fine except for the foot on his elbow lol.

Hi there, my axy lexus has an extra toe on his front foot and an extra prong of his gill too, don't know if he had an injury or not tho, probably just wanted to be different.lol.

My axies foot coming out of his front elbow is growing into a freakin leg!! lol. This guy is CRAZZZZY!! lol.

I had heard that amphibian mutations in the wild were due to pollutants or excessive ultraviolet radiation. Any connections?

Well that is mainly because amphibians absorb pretty much anything in their environment through their skin. However, axolotls are pretty much never from the wild. They are an endangered species, but they are available as pets because they are bred in large numbers in captivity every year. Axolotl mutations I believe would just be random because of their ability to regenerate limbs and such. This happens form wounds healing wrong etc.

Rafael, you might be thinking of Blinky, the 3-eyed fish of The Simpsons fame. Most amphibians grow extra parts due to incomplete amputation. One leg gets injured enough to start the regeneration process, but not enough to amputate the leg completely. So an extra leg grows while the original remains.

If there is excessive pollution, most amphibs die instead of developing mutations.

I watched a special on tv where there was an pond by a bunch of houses, that housed leopard frogs. they sprayed a lot of misqito repellent out of big trucks to kill most of them. It leached in the water and they are finding frogs with 6-12 i think legs. It was really sad

But it made it happy for humans, right?

This is why I can't wait to move away to somewhere people don't come first, and they don't destroy the environment in order to make them more comfortable.

Joan - unfortunately I don't think a place like that exists.

Cynthia, I can dream...

I was actually looking at purchasing land in Michigan's upper peninsula. 120 acres and my own lake. Only set you back $200,000. hmm... Maybe I should get a better paying job.

$200,000 dollars that is nothing!! over here in central california your gonna be lucky to get a small 3 bedroom home with no backyard for $300,000. And I don't even live in a very big city!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back