Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jar as axolotl hide

LeoTheDoctor

Reaction score
I just got a jar (measure is 25 cm, 10 cm, 10 cm) I was wondering if it's safe for my axolotl. I'm affraid that he could have trouble getting out of it since it's open in only one side. I've seen Frank from Frankie's aquatics use it as a hide so I thought it was ok. What you guys think?

Update: he is definetly struggling to get out of it, he is able to get out but it's hard so I think, unfortunately, I won't be able to use it. I was thinking about doing a hide for him myself but I don't know which materials to use and what is actually axolotl safe.

Last edited:

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Although I don't like how it looks, pvc dorner pipes work great, axos love them. I also use a cured coconut shell and they use it some times.

LeoTheDoctor

Reaction score
Although I don't like how it looks, pvc dorner pipes work great, axos love them. I also use a cured coconut shell and they use it some times.
thanks for the advice, I'm thinking in opening that jar and using some sand paper to get rid of sharp edges. I'm still a bit affraid he might break it (since he broke an old thermometer I never doubted his strenght again). Now I'm sure it's not possible because he's still growing, but I'm going to keep an eye on him, better safe than sorry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1