Johnny's Pellets for Axolotls

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Here is the recipe I came up with for axolotl pellets. I feed these in the off season around here once or twice a week when many live foods are unavailable to me.

A few notes before we get started:

Go to the thrift store and buy a used blender. Your significant other/parents will kill you if you use the one in your kitchen.

This is a messy process with quite a bit of stink involved. It is best to do this project outside.

These pellets, while dry, should be stored in the freezer in an airtight container. I use a vaccuum sealer to package mine.

You get to kill live bugs and worms for this project, if you are a bit squeemish, you may be better off buying pellets.

Equipment/ Materials needed:

-Blender with GLASS pitcher and metal blades
-Disposable plastic storage containers (like Ziploc disposables)
-Vacuum sealer and bags (Ziploc makes a cheap one that works great!)
-Disposable Frosting bag, and nozzel (use the nozzel with the 1/4 inch hole, or make the hole bigger)
-Waxed Paper (like for baking)
-Large Plastic Mixing bowl
-Rubber spatula
-Paper towling
-disposable spoons

-1 lbs (1 bulk packages) San Fransico Bay brand or Hikari Brand Frozen Bloodworms (The bulk slabs, not the cubes)

-1lb frozen Bulk Brine Shrimp

-1 lbs live worms (I prefer Lumbricus terrestris, avoid Eisenia foetida) preferably gut loaded with Goldfish Flakes

-1200 Large Live Crickets (about 1/4 lb), gutloaded on Goldfish Flakes (or use grasshoppers, Brown Junebugs, brown may beetles, etc)

-1 Box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin packets, or equivlent

-1 gallon of Spring Water

1. Place the container with the crickets in your freezer for at least one hour. Warm up the spring water in the microwave. DO NOT BOIL! Lukewarm (130F) is perfect.
2. Thaw out the Bloodworms and the Brine Shimp in a plastic bowl, keep all the liquid!
3. Place the worms a handful at a time in the blender and set it to Whip, untill all the worms are blended into a disgusting milkshake. Add small amounts of spring water to ensure an even consistency.
4. Add the thawed brine shrimp and bloodworms and all the liquid from thawing to the worm slurry. Liquify untill you have a nice even consistency. Your mix should be a pinkish brown by now.
5. Fetch the now dead gut loaded crickets and blend them in also. If you blender is not big enough to hold the entire mix, pour some into the bowl you used to thaw out the shrimp and bloodworms in.
6. Continue blending on the Whip setting until the whole mess is of even consistency. Add warm spring water as needed to get it about the same consistency as warm gravy.
7. The mix should be thin enough to pour easily. If it does not pour easily, add more spring water and continue to blend untill it is. Try to get all the lumps blended out.
8. While the blender is running, lay out some sheets of waxed paper and get your frosting bag ready.
9. Blend two packets of Knox Unflavored Gelatin (dissolve the packets into one cup boiling spring water first) into the warm mix. Blend It thouroghly!
10. Now you need to work quickly! Pour some of the mix into the frosting bag and sqweeze it out in long, thick (about 1/4 inch wide) even stripes on the waxed paper. Continue to do this untill all the mix is on the waxed paper.
11. Go have lunch and clean your blender and bowl.
12. The pellet mix will set up into a thick stick. Let this dry in direct sunlight for a few hours, or use your oven set on warm. A food dehydrator works best!
13. Once the sticks have dried up, but are still somewhat moist, break them into pellets about 3/4 of an inch long and store them in vacuum pack bags in the freezer.

These pellets have a high nutritonal value, and can be fed as a staple to axolotls and other salamanders/newts when live foods are not readily available. They have a shelf life of about one year when kept frozen in an airtight container. These pellets do not float when thawed out and are readily eaten by my axolotls.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Ohh!

Mysis shrimp!

Now that is something I had forgotten about.

I will have to try your recipe out! Agar-Agar is the vegetable alternative for gelatin, however I have never worked with it. Guess I will have to give that a try too. I cheat on the vitamin supplements and go for what the good folks at Hikari add, in addition to those loaded worms and crickets.

Melmo

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I have to say, this is revolting. If I ever try this it would be the first time I would actually blend insects. Props to you though, this is a great idea.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
The worm blending is the worst part. I usually have to step away and get some air after the initial blending...:eek:

AU SalamanderRG

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Oh wow. These sound too good to simply JUST be for salamanders/newts. These sound good enough to be MONSTER fish pellets!:D

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Just a bump as this has come up in conversation recently. And, it is old enough to be a bit hard to find in the archives.

Any yes, I still use this process, though I use the pellets only when I cannot get worms.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just was caught by the wife grinding up dried leaves in the blender. I'm sure this will go over any better.....lol.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
My wife gave up long ago. Now she just asks by weight, what I need from Petco. :crazy:

J

jcj57

Lucky I'm able to access live food all year round and my axis are quite happy eating the commercial pellets. I'm glad the net does not come with smellavision, must look disgusting, lol

axiesoph

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sophie
If you did not want to blend worms... Ewwww. What kind of pellets available in stores can people recommend?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caitie
Would freezing the worms kill them? Whilst I can feed them live, I couldn't do the blending thing *shudders*

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Freezing worms will kill them and when you defrost them you will be greeted by the most putrid, foul-smelling unusable mess you have ever seen or smelled.

Waterdog2017

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering how much does this make and if you feed it regularly how long does one batch last

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MelissaKenyon:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help with our axy, she absolutely loves her food and we've notice tonight after her worms( that she ate in one mouthful) that she ue was struggling to get up to the top for air. She's never done this before, she usually goes up every 5-10 mins or so. She is 6 months old and seems very healthy. Could it be a problem with our water level or water quality or could she just be to full?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
    bearbear_13: She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked... +1