Just a Tad(pole) Overwhelmed - pun intended

BillieLessner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings fellow axy lovers :) I have two adult axylotls, one female, one male approximately one year old. They spawned about 150 eggs which hatched on 1/8-1/9 so I'm pleased to say I am successfully raising about 145 babies and they seem to be thriving in their bowls. There is an issue with the adults - the female has spawned another ton of eggs over the last 24 hours. Is this normal behavior, to breed again so soon? They did go through a tank change at the beginning of the year, to separate them from the impending hatching of their babies, so I wondered if that played a part in throwing them into breeding so quickly.

Also, any advice on what to do with these new eggs? I absolutely love these incredible little creatures, but I've already taken over my kitchen table with containers for the hatchlings, and I can't imagine doing another round. Any recommendations?

It is normal for a female to lay eggs for 2 or 3 days. You can try to to give away or sell some. It is hard to move more than a few unless know a wholeseller. If they are buying 100 you will have to offer a low price.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back