Just got newts. Might be in over our head

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When I was a kid firebelly newts were $5 a piece and you could get theme every where. Now in Canada, they can’t be imported so we have to rely on local breeders. After searching for newts for my son for almost a year, my wife found some. Great! $50 each and we got our newts. What we didn’t understand was that they still have external gills and are about 1/2 inch long. Let’s just say they have a lot of room in their 10 g tank (we have a 20 for them but due to a leak, it’s become a temporary home for my salt water fish). Back to the newts. They eat blood worms the first day and we were told to feed them every couple of days so we’ll feed them tonight. The tank was cycled by some fish (which have been rehomed) and the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are in good shape.
My main question is about the tank and filter. I understand newts don’t like water flow so I bought a submersible filter (small one off amazon). I made a spray bar but have been to scared to run the filter. I also ordered an air pump and stone for the tank.
Should I run the filter? Should I use the bubbler? Both?
I feel like I did my research on this but could really use your help 😊 oh, and I’ll be back with more questions if you help me so be aware 😂
Thanks!!

For larval newts or small aquatic salamanders a sponge filter driven by an air pump works good. For just two larvae you could go with lots of plants and no filter. I do prefer a sponge filter or at least an air stone. Be sure you have a good sealed top so they don't climb out.

Thanks Michael. I definitely want to add some plants. Any suggestions for a good starter plant?
I also have a fitted top to keep them in. I will say I’m nervous but hopeful to get them to that stage!

Java fern, java moss, or elodea work good.

I stopped using a filter. I had some newts that got sucked against it and ended up dying. I would only use one with very large newts. Otherwise an airstone and a water change schedule is safer, in my opinion.

I got the air stone in there now and didn’t leave the filter running unless I was there. Thanks!

Yeah, I wouldn't use any type of submersible box filter, canister filter, hang-off-the-top filter, etc.

I use two sponge filters -- one in each corner of my tank. I've had my alpine newts for 4-5(?) years now and two of the adult male newts still have faint gills while the female has no gills (she came like that). I have no clue why the males never fully lost their gills.

Good for you for getting captive-bred newts. That's awesome.

I like to keep some frogbit in my tank along with subwassertang, java ferns, bolbitis ferns and anubias.

I'd limit blood worms. They aren't the most nutritious food. I feed mine high protein newt pellets, daphnia and mosquito larva from my outdoor culture, small earthworms and occasional blood worms.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks. I ordered a sponge filter and will get some newt pellets.
Its funny. The breeder is the one who suggested blood worms. I had them for the fish and same thing, just as a treat

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back